Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Live in NJ how to carry in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    I have a Utah permit and live in PRNJ. I go from my home in PRNJ directly to a range in PA with my gun and ammunition carried in accordance with FOPA and PRNJ laws.

I spend a day or two in PA with friends conforming to PA statutes for CCW.

When I leave PA to go back to PRNJ, I pack my gun and ammo according to PRNJ and FOPA rules and travel directly to a range in PRNJ; and then home.

In accordance with PRNJ laws, I am first traveling to a range, then to a range, and returning from a range to my residence.

(There is no statute that says I must shoot at the range)

I am not a lawyer and do not recommend this course of action to any others
    Why do you need to go to a NJ range from PA and then home?

Isnt it legally acceptable to go from your home in NJ to a PA range and then directly back to your home in NJ?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Your NJite friend cannot apply for a Pa LTCF unless he holds an NJCCW...
    Is this law or does the Sheriff have some discretion knowing that NJ does not issue CCWs?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    Is this law or does the Sheriff have some discretion knowing that NJ does not issue CCWs?
    Yes, it's PA law, even though NJ rarely issues technically they do issue, so you'd have to have one first.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...6109/licenses/

(e)(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

(Bucks County)

Apply for an Arizona, Utah or Florida non-resident by mail. Pennsylvania honors those permits. However, if you are a Pennsylvania resident carrying concealed or in a vehicle within the state, you MUST have a Pennsylvania LTCF. There was some nonsense ruling by the state AG recently giving all Pennsylvania residents carrying within PA with non-resident permits a certain amount of time to apply for and receive a PA LTCF. But people who are not Pennsylvania residents may still carry within the state on any non-resident permit that is honored.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by cpio View Post
    Apply for an Arizona, Utah or Florida non-resident by mail. Pennsylvania honors those permits. However, if you are a Pennsylvania resident carrying concealed or in a vehicle within the state, you MUST have a Pennsylvania LTCF. There was some nonsense ruling by the state AG recently giving all Pennsylvania residents carrying within PA with non-resident permits a certain amount of time to apply for and receive a PA LTCF. But people who are not Pennsylvania residents may still carry within the state on any non-resident permit that is honored.
    For the most part the bolded is not true.

It is true there was a recent ruling that said PA residents need a PA LTCF.

But it is also true that the PA AG changed most reciprocity agreements so that NOBODY can carry on most reciprocal licenses in PA unless they are a resident of the state that issued the license. Utah is the only exception I am aware of, people can carry in PA on non-resident Utah license (except PA residents).

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    For the most part the bolded is not true.

It is true there was a recent ruling that said PA residents need a PA LTCF.

But it is also true that the PA AG changed most reciprocity agreements so that NOBODY can carry on most reciprocal licenses in PA unless they are a resident of the state that issued the license. Utah is the only exception I am aware of, people can carry in PA on non-resident Utah license (except PA residents).
    Ok, it does appear that the AG stopped honoring non-resident Florida, Arizona, Maine and Virginia permits as well as all Idaho permits. That does leave open Texas and Utah, but the Texas permit has to be applied for in person, which does present a problem.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    Why do you need to go to a NJ range from PA and then home?

Isnt it legally acceptable to go from your home in NJ to a PA range and then directly back to your home in NJ?
    Yes if the continuous trip is NJ residence to Pa range to NJ residence

The poster indicated that he would "spend a day or two in PA with friends conforming to PA statutes for CCW". As such he needs to qualify for the two trips surrounding the intermediate Pa events he engages in. In particular he would have to go directly from his Pa stay to a range before returning to his NJ residence. He could use a Pa range as his departure point on that return trip instead of going to an NJ range, in fact it would be preferable.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by cpio View Post
    Ok, it does appear that the AG stopped honoring non-resident Florida, Arizona, Maine and Virginia permits as well as all Idaho permits. That does leave open Texas and Utah, but the Texas permit has to be applied for in person, which does present a problem.
    Do you have any more info on acquiring a non-resident Texas CCW?

Found a couple of sources but didnt see much on non-residents:

http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/#

https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/

https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps...nOutOfState.do

Will probably just give them a call on Monday.
    Last edited by hotdog; November 28th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345