Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Live in NJ how to carry in PA?

so basically you guys are saying it's to confusing, and it's impossible for a non-resident of pa, to get a license to carry firearms? Other than getting the license I'd offer to store my friend's guns so he can carry while he visits, and not have to worry about transportation.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HUHwhat View Post
    so basically you guys are saying it's to confusing, and it's impossible for a non-resident of pa, to get a license to carry firearms? Other than getting the license I'd offer to store my friend's guns so he can carry while he visits, and not have to worry about transportation.
    From what I glean from your post:

1. your friend is a NJite;
    2. your friend does not have a CCW of any state;
    3. you would store his firearm at your house and he would then retrieve his firearm from you on a visit to Pa;
    4. he would carry while in Pa;
    5. he would return the firearm to you before his return to NJ.

Comments to each of the above:

1. assumed;
    2. assumed;
    3. how would the firearms be stored? Consideration: the prohibitions of lending firearms under state and Federal laws (18 Pa CS 6115 and 18 USC 922(a)(5)). Do you have an LTCF? Will you have any access to the firearm during storage?
    4. he will have to OC and not enter a vehicle at any time. Also no carry in Phila, during State of Emergency or within 1000' of a K-12 school;
    5. same considerations as #3.

He would also have to make circuitous arrangements (like going directly to/from a range) whenever he decides to transport the firearms out of or/ back into NJ.

Non-residents can get a Pa LCTF provided they have a CCW from their home state.
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 23rd, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
    IANAL

(Dauphin County)

It is all very confusing. Here are the questions that I still have:

1) Can someone from another state still get a PA non-resident carry license (LTCF)??

2) If, as a PA resident, I have an LTCF, can I carry with my Utah, Florida, or Virginia license?? Technically the answer should be yes but any LEO may ask to see the PA LTCF also....(NOTE:, everything I have seen posted or read elsewhere states that a PA resident WITHOUT an LTCF cannot carry on another state's license - I have not seen anywhere that says as a PA resident WITH and LTCF I cannot carry with another state's license)......

3) If we go by the McKown decision, doesn't that decision effectively bypass any decision made by the Attorney General about reciprocity or specifically any state license held by a PA resident who does not have an LTCF. The only way PA will recognize an out-of-state license (to carry) is if the person holding the out-of-state license is a resident of that state and PA has reciprocity with that state.
    Everyone has the right to be an asshole....unfortunately some people abuse that right.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PRRFan View Post

1) Can someone from another state still get a PA non-resident carry license (LTCF)??

2) If, as a PA resident, I have an LTCF, can I carry with my Utah, Florida, or Virginia license?? Technically the answer should be yes but any LEO may ask to see the PA LTCF also....(NOTE:, everything I have seen posted or read elsewhere states that a PA resident WITHOUT an LTCF cannot carry on another state's license - I have not seen anywhere that says as a PA resident WITH and LTCF I cannot carry with another state's license)......

3) If we go by the McKown decision, doesn't that decision effectively bypass any decision made by the Attorney General about reciprocity or specifically any state license held by a PA resident who does not have an LTCF. The only way PA will recognize an out-of-state license (to carry) is if the person holding the out-of-state license is a resident of that state and PA has reciprocity with that state.

1. Although all counties are supposed to issue, only some do, and then only if you have a home state permit/license if your home state issues a permit/license.

2. The amended agreements read "full faith and credit to residents of", the way they are worded says a PA resident can not carry on a FL, for example, even if he has a PA LTCF.

3. The Hobson McKown decision is a mess, I don't understand what it means.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PRRFan View Post

Assuming 'you' are a Pa resident:

1. Yes provided they have a CCW from their state of residence;

2. While in Pa, if you have an LTCF then you are licensed to carry in Pa. Why would you assert you are carrying under a foreign license -- is there a point/benefit for doing so? Under McKown
    we hold that a Pennsylvania resident who does not have a valid Pennsylvania license issued under the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act may not carry a firearm in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person in Pennsylvania under the authority of a permit issued by another state that has reciprocity with Pennsylvania.
    you must have a Pa LTCF -- any other license is superfluous. Furthermore, if you presented a foreign license to an LEO without showing the Pa LTCF, he would have reasonable suspicion to assume your non-licensure and proceed accordingly. While outside Pa your carry legality will depend on the local laws and any reciprocity agreements your state of presence has with your various states of licensure - McKown does NOT impact the use of any of your CCWs while beyond Pa's jurisdiction.

3. For Pa residents McKown essential makes reciprocity a moot point while carrying in Pa. For non-Pa residents, it doesn't change the standing reciprocity agreements. Note: Pa will still recognize a non_Pa resident's licensure even if he is NOT a resident of the state of issue provided there is an unrestricted reciprocity agreement. IIRC there are only 4 states whose Pa reciprocation of their CCWs is limited to their residents only (VA, FL, ME, AZ).
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 24th, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
    IANAL

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    From what I glean from your post:

1. your friend is a NJite;
    2. your friend does not have a CCW of any state;
    3. you would store his firearm at your house and he would then retrieve his firearm from you on a visit to Pa;
    4. he would carry while in Pa;
    5. he would return the firearm to you before his return to NJ.

Comments to each of the above:

1. assumed;
    2. assumed;
    3. how would the firearms be stored? Consideration: the prohibitions of lending firearms under state and Federal laws (18 Pa CS 6115 and 18 USC 922(a)(5)). Do you have an LTCF? Will you have any access to the firearm during storage?
    4. he will have to OC and not enter a vehicle at any time. Also no carry in Phila, during State of Emergency or within 1000' of a K-12 school;
    5. same considerations as #3.

He would also have to make circuitous arrangements (like going directly to/from a range) whenever he decides to transport the firearms out of or/ back into NJ.

Non-residents can get a Pa LCTF provided they have a CCW from their home state.
    I have a LTCF. There is a good chance my friend already has a CCW, or may be able to get one from another state like FL. He goes there a lot. How would he apply for a LTCF, as an out of state resident, if he's already in possession of a valid CCW?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HUHwhat View Post
    I have a LTCF. There is a good chance my friend already has a CCW, or may be able to get one from another state like FL. He goes there a lot. How would he apply for a LTCF, as an out of state resident, if he's already in possession of a valid CCW?
    Of the states that Pa grants reciprocity, CCWs issued by VA, FL, AZ, and ME to residents of NJ ARE NOT RECIPROCATED - he should look in the UT CCW. Your NJite friend cannot apply for a Pa LTCF unless he holds an NJCCW - CCWs from states other than his state of residence are not acceptable for application purposes.

18 Pa CS 6109(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    I assume by your non-response to my previous questions that you have abandoned the 'storage' scheme - correct?
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 24th, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
    IANAL

Are there any places that offer long/short term accessible storage of handguns that a resident of a state other than PA can utilize? A place like the one below, or a range that has secure lockups available? Leave your gun in PA and visit and use it as you want?

https://firearmssupportandstorage.com/

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    Are there any places that offer long/short term accessible storage of handguns that a resident of a state other than PA can utilize? A place like the one below, or a range that has secure lockups available? Leave your gun in PA and visit and use it as you want?

https://firearmssupportandstorage.com/
    I'm not aware of any though some have suggested a bank safe deposit box as a viable storage option.
    In reviewing your link it appears that they use a similar safe deposit box system and/or store firearms after 'gunsmithing' (cleaning) services.
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 24th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    IANAL

Hi guys...I believe that if you have a current non resident New Hampshire CCW permit that it would be recognized by PA. I know you can not get or renew a NH permit without showing a copy of your NJ CCW Permit (which you cant get anyway)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast