Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default AWB and stripped lowers

Since the dark times will be coming again and i just bought my first AR i am thinking about the future and my next ar. However, my wife will definatly not let me drop another K on another gun... My question, if a get a stripped lower now pre ban will i be able to build a gun durring a ban? Or should i get what i need to build a lower now and worry about an upper after the ban starts? Or will all things AR vanish?

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: AWB and stripped lowers

These kinds of questions are impossible to answer. IF another ban were to happen, the answers to your questions would all depend on how said ban is worded.

(Monroe County)

basicly im wondering is it a safe betto by a lower now andplan for the future. But i do see how i could have a $200 paper weight for 10 years

(Philadelphia County)

build yourself a bad ass airsoft.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    basicly im wondering is it a safe betto by a lower now andplan for the future. But i do see how i could have a $200 paper weight for 10 years
    anvilarms.com lowers are $100 including free laser engraving, there are doubdlestar lowers on budsgunshop.com for $99 shipped. You shouldnt pay much over $100 for a lower.

(Monroe County)

i was thinking200 with a triger asem.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    The 10 year time frame is also assuming that the new ban is even worded that way in the bill. Adding the 10 year time frame was the only way the Republicans would allow the bill it to pass through congress, IIRC. The new could very easily be permanent with no sunset period. Hell it could potentially ban all parts, not just things like lower receivers and high capacity mags, it's hard to say. Time will tell.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    These kinds of questions are impossible to answer. IF another ban were to happen, the answers to your questions would all depend on how said ban is worded.

if looking back on the last ban is any indication, the next ban will be the same, but no expiration date.

during the last ban, the ATF was of the published opinion that stripped lowers did not meet the definitions of an assault weapoin, even IF the gun WAS an assault weapon before the ban.

once you pulled the parts off, it was just an other stripped lower in thier eyes.

if anything, the way around this was to reinstall a pistolgrip and a collapsing stock on the preban lower before transferring, thus keeping the feature count within the laws definitions of 2 "bad" features.

As IV_Warrior said, these questions cannot really be answered, except by base speculation on may or may not happen.

best bet is to simply build what you can, as fast as you can.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

Here are some of my suggestions.

1--if you already have an ar skip the second one and stock up on ammo and spare parts. without ammo and spare parts you have a club.

2--if you really want to piss them off, buy a lower and pay the $200 for a sbr stamp. not only will it be an evil black rifle but you'll be able to put a barrel less than 16" on it.

If i could predict the future, i'd be a powerball winner and be buying as many guns as i wanted.

I never advise perjury or violating the law. However...

There's an argument that your duty as a citizen is dependent on the legitimacy of the actions of your government. If the USA stripped some group of all civil rights (Jews, or old people, or left-handers, or whoever) and mandated that you turn in any strays who hadn't been sent to the camps yet, I'd argue that your duty is not to comply, but in fact you have an affirmative duty to disobey.

When the government violates the US Constitution, I'm less inclined to demand compliance with the offending law from my fellow citizens. When the government infringes that which shall not be infringed, it becomes more an issue of "what you can get away with" than "what's right".

Under the 1994 law, if you possessed a stripped receiver prior to the effective date, and didn't complete the gun by adding the offending features prior to the law, then you couldn't legally complete the gun after the ban went into effect. Where the receiver didn't even exist prior to the ban, it was conclusively a post-ban gun; from that, some people concluded (erroneously) that there was a corollary, that if the receiver existed prior to the ban, then it was a pre-ban gun, and could legally be completed. In practice I doubt that any prosecution could occur if the defendant kept his mouth shut, but it's not legal to complete a pre-ban receiver after the ban, even though the legally ignorant were openly selling stripped "pre-ban receivers" at a premium.