Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default any taurus 738 owners?

The wife came to me the other day said she wanted to look at a new pistol. That pistol turns out to be the taurus 738 pink and stainless model. I have heard many unkind things about the taurus line of pistols through the years my only experience was with a revolver but was pretty positive.

I have heard that they are under new ownership and are making a much better line of guns. I can't find any friends that have 1 for her to shoot and none for range rental either. So i thought i would ask you all if it is a good gun or not?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: any taurus 738 owners?

As long as the serial# does NOT have the letter A in it it should be a great pistol for you.
    Much of the "bad" reputation you might dig up is older information from those first run pistols that had teething isssues.

I love mine. Better trigger them it's direct competition.
    Has a part round hold open. Looks better too.

Very soft shooting compared to the others.

The only "issue" I've had is that it doesn't like Herters steel cased ammo.

Otherwise it shoots flawlessly. I mostly shoot S&B. It's hotter than the American made offerings.

I believe the pink and stainless combo all have a letter C in their SN. Should not have any issues. Good luck.

(Warren County)

Thanks for the info it helps.

I had one in the past, and liked it a lot -- trigger out of the box is way smoother than a brand-new LCP's, and I like the slide lockback after the last round has been shot out of a mag.

I wound up selling it, thinking a Kahr PM9 could replace it from a pocket concealability standpoint...I thought wrong. (I did wind up getting an LCP instead since it was the right price.)

The only thing not to do is shoot the hot Buffalo Bore .380 ammo. The guy I sold it to wound having some problems with it after about 50 or so Buffalo Bore rounds went through it, and he wound up having to send it back to Taurus. Last I heard, it was running great after he got it back.

(Warren County)

well posted a pistol up for sale to cover the cost of this "freaking pink!" monstrosity of a gun. it sold way too fast so went tonight and ordered it for her. Hope she likes it.

(Monroe County)

Just break it in right. Took about 150 rounds for mine to settle in. When it does, you'll notice you won't have to look all over the place for your brass.

Just remember, this is an 'up close and personal' gun. Sights suck so get her used to point and shoot at 10 to 15 feet. Pick up a couple spare mags too. Will make break in a little easier.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Lancaster County)

Love mine! Bought it on a whim last year. It was in the case used and I was itching to buy something. Mine is very accurate and I carry it in the summer as a less bulky alternative to my J frame Smith. Does not like lead nose ammo, I have shot PMC, Win, and Hornady no problem. I have put finger nail polish on the sights to make them easier to see, otherwise it a great, cheap gun. I do know a guy at work whose daughter has had many issues with hers and has sent it back to the factory to be fixed.

I also have a tcp and it's a good little gun. It had some issues in the early runs but the later serial numbers (c and d )seemed to fix it. Shoots well has features the other little 380s don't and is priced right 👍

(Butler County)

Had one a few years back. Not sure what the SN started with but to be frank, it was junk.

Went back to Taurus twice for failures to feed, after the second trip home it worked well, for a while (aside from the spent cases hitting me right in the center of my forehead nearly every time).

After another couple hundred rounds the slide rails on both sides split. You could pull them up away from the frame. I sent it back to Taurus, they replaced it with a new gun and I sold it. It was never reliable enough to carry and i blew over $200 on that expensive 380 ammo trying to get it to that point.

(Warren County)

well she went and picked it up today, brought it home, and read the manual. She stripped it all down and cleaned and lubed it got it ready for the range sometime this weekend. Throuh dry fire i have to say this is a nice trigger. The slide fits the rails a little more snugly than i like but i am sure that will be cured easily enough by putting some rounds through it.

Came with 2 mags both are in good working order bery easy to load and shells come out easily with just a slight thumb preasure when checking for function. I didn't see any obvious points that would benifit from a good polish yet but am sure there will probably be something.

It is a sn in the d range so that should be in the range of quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast