Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Can I draw and attempt to stop a crime against my vehicle parked on the street?

So hypothetical question. I live in a house that's right at 'sidewalk level', so my car stays parked right in front and in view of my house. It's not in a driveway, but on a public street. If I look out, and see somebody breaking into my car, am I allowed to draw my weapon and tell them to stop? Or would that be considered "brandishing" or "intimidation" or anything like that?

I'm just wondering what rights I have to defend and protect my property, with the added twist of it being on public property.

thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Can I draw and attempt to stop a crime against my vehicle parked on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by pabeachbum View Post
    So hypothetical question. I live in a house that's right at 'sidewalk level', so my car stays parked right in front and in view of my house. It's not in a driveway, but on a public street. If I look out, and see somebody breaking into my car, am I allowed to draw my weapon and tell them to stop? Or would that be considered "brandishing" or "intimidation" or anything like that?

I'm just wondering what rights I have to defend and protect my property, with the added twist of it being on public property.

thanks.
    You CAN do whatever you want. But, if you want to remain a free man, I'd keep the gun in the holster and call the police. You do not have the legal right to use lethal force against a person breaking into a car if that person is not a threat to someone's life.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Can I draw and attempt to stop a crime against my vehicle parked on the street?

You're thinking about it all wrong.

It's not "when can I draw?" It's"when must I draw?"

If no one's life is in immediate danger, put the gun away and call the police. Otherwise you are the one escalating the situation,

Quote Originally Posted by PaTom View Post
    You're thinking about it all wrong.

It's not "when can I draw?" It's"when must I draw?"

If no one's life is in immediate danger, put the gun away and call the police. Otherwise you are the one escalating the situation,
    Alright, so I give them a verbal warning and tell them to bug off, if they want to fight back, then I can draw. Got it.

(Chester County)

IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Alright, so I give them a verbal warning and tell them to bug off, if they want to fight back, then I can draw. Got it.
    What an exquisitely trollish response.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    What an exquisitely trollish response.
    Not trying to be trollish at all. If anything I would say your response was quite sarcastic and not really helpful.

(Pike County)

I may be reading into this too much, if so sorry. But it sounds to me like you're dying to pull your gun on someone. Or that this may have already happened, but you didn't have a firearm handy.

(Montgomery County)

Not trying to be trollish at all. If anything I would say your response was quite sarcastic and not really helpful.
    Right. Of course it's not helpful when I said "You do not have the legal right to use lethal force against a person breaking into a car if that person is not a threat to someone's life."

It's not helpful because you WANT to be able to use a gun.

No, I want to protect my property and stop a crime in progress. When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

Do I not have the right to stop a crime against my property?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast