Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Who here has an M&P Shield and what do you think of it?

*EDIT - Mulling over picking up an M&P Shield and would appreciate any feedback you shield owners could give me. The XDs is in the running as well. I have a Kahr CM9 that I keep in my glove box. I normally cc a glock 26 but when I am working and cant carry I would like a pistol I can pocket carry when running errands during that time. I have felt the shield and it seems small enough to carry in a nemesis style pocket holster. While I love my Kahr and it has a great trigger, I wanted to get a pistol with a similar style trigger to a glock. So what are your thoughts on the Shield, XDs or anything else?

*I picked up my 9mm Shield today and took it to the range. Very nice trigger....shooting a little to the left...not sure if it is me or I need to drift the sight. The recoil is extremely manageable and follow up shots were accurate when rapid firing. Going to order some holsters this evening. Thanks all for your advice and information.
    Last edited by pokerguy005; November 23rd, 2013 at 08:35 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Who here has an M&P Shield and what do you think of it?

I have one I bought from the guys at Lanco Tactical. I have carried it everyday since February and love it. I was very happy with it on the range. It was far more accurate then expected and. The trigger blows away my CW9 and her CM9. For a factory trigger it surpasses what the bigger M&Ps had going. I appreciate that the sights are not dumbed down or plastic cost saving measures. I carry with the extended mag and find it easy to conceal. That wouldn't work in the pocket.

I was also looking at the XDs but for the 100.00 savings, Made in the USA and S&W customer service...I went with the Shield.
    <a href=http://vigitac.com target=_blank>http://vigitac.com</a>

(Lehigh County)

I have the Shield 9mm. It has replaced my LCP and SR9c as my EDC. I normally pocket carry the LCP during warmer seasons and OWB the SR9c during colder seasons. Now, I only carry the Shield.

I don't know if I would consider it as a pocket carry gun. For my built and clothes, it's too big for a pocket gun. So I would say the same for you.. it depends on your built and pants.

I did have a minor issue with the Shield initially. It shot low. It did the same when I asked 2 of my friends to shoot it. So I called S&W and sent the gun back. They changed the front sight, and it's been good since then.

Other than that... It functions 100%. no issues at all.

(Delaware County)

I have one and love it. It is my EDC, can carry it all day in a good Crossbreed IWB holster and not even know it's there. It doesn't even poke me when I drive in the car. That said, I do not consider it a pocket gun. When I want something to stuff in my jacket or pant pocket, it's the LCP. Shield is too big.

(Montgomery County)

I really want to like it and I do so far but my brand new shield's ejector is loose and the gun has to go in for service. Not a good sign in my book. It would be nice if s&w picked up the pace a little. I've been waiting almost a week for a shipping label and instructions.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pokerguy005 View Post
    Mulling over picking up an M&P Shield and would appreciate any feedback you shield owners could give me. The XDs is in the running as well. I have a Kahr CM9 that I keep in my glove box. I normally cc a glock 26 but when I am working and cant carry I would like a pistol I can pocket carry when running errands during that time. I have felt the shield and it seems small enough to carry in a nemesis style pocket holster. While I love my Kahr and it has a great trigger, I wanted to get a pistol with a similar style trigger to a glock. So what are your thoughts on the Shield, XDs or anything else?
    I have both in 9mm and I'll take my shield over the xds. I don't like the xds's feel, it doesn't fit my hand right, the shield is slightly better and I feel I shoot it better. I got them for my wife but she uses a pk380 now. I don't like sc I prefer the mp40c or glock27.

(Northampton County)

I was about to purchase a Shield a few months ago, then the recall hit so I started to look at other options.

I carried an XD .45 comptact for several years, so I started to look at the XDS 9mm but I couldn't justify the prices I was seeing.

After reading about how long people have been waiting for their xds/shield to come back I'm glad I didn't purchase one.

I fondled all the sub-compact 9mm I could find locally and ended up falling in love with the Sig P938. My LGS prices were high imo so I looked online, ending up buying mine from a member on here for less then I was finding XDS 9mms.

I've owned my p938 for a few months now and I've put 300 or so rounds through it, never had an issue with several different brands of ammo. My only complaint was the trigger pull #7.x-8.x, but I swapped in a Wolff 20lb hammer spring (its made for a Colt Mustang 380, it will also work in a P238) and cleaned, polished, lubed it all up and trigger pull is now #5.x, very happy with the difference.

If you haven't considered it, check it out.. its very accurate (for its intended range) and easy to conceal. I highly recommend the 7rnd mags, the extension makes a big difference!

(Montgomery County)

I have both the XDs in 9m and 45 and the Shield in 9m. Both are reliable and I think it is a toss up between the two. Both are too large for pocket carry for me but are moderately easy to conceal. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have a Kimber Solo CDP that I use for pocket carry.

(Allegheny County)

I've had a 9mm Shield for almost a year and have had no problems with it. Mine didn't need to go back for the recall. It's very accurate and I carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Wearing cargo pants like 5.11s, I carry it with the extended magazine.

It is a great gun and I carry it all the time.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Delaware County)

I have the XDS 45 as my hot weather carry (otherwise it is my HK usp40c) and i find it to be a great and accurate firearm. I used it to qualify for my NRA pistol certification and surprised the proctor with how accurate it was for such a short barrel. I have run hundreds of rounds through it with not a single issue (except when i used an extended mag, go figure). The Pearce grip extension i think is a gotta have, especially with larger hands.

I use a S&W m&p full size for my bedside and it also is a great and accurate one so i would expect the shield to be just as good. I do use a nemesis pocket holster with the XDS, but not my first choice. With a good IWB (i have the Old Faithful) you will almost forget it is there and no one will see it even with just a T-shirt on (and pants i hope lol)

Will F
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast