Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Good encounter at Grocery Store

Was out today with the family OCing my Ruger SP101 in a DeSantis thumbreak.

Leaving the grocery store, there was a US veteran's donation collector. He saw me, and said, 'thank you for what you're doing'. I made a donation, and he asked, 'I see the .38 there'. I told him it was a .357, and he was surprised at how compact it looked for a .357. 'You ain't playing around'! was his response.

Great encounter, I shook his hand and thanked him for his service, and he thanked me for open carrying. Great encounter.

Default Re: Good encounter at Grocery Store

Actually he wasn't far off.. Kudos to both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Actually he wasn't far off.. Kudos to both of you.
    Yes, he was technically correct, as the revolver is capable of firing 38 spl.

It was a very friendly and encouraging encounter for both of us.

I'm glad to see that some of the US vets I've come across are pro-Open carry--this is not the first time a vet thanked ME for open carrying.

Its always good to hear about good OC encounters...

Not saying this guy was like this, but what is with some of the older people thinking that .357 is the biggest baddest handgun around? Was that the popular caliber back int he day?

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    Its always good to hear about good OC encounters...

Not saying this guy was like this, but what is with some of the older people thinking that .357 is the biggest baddest handgun around? Was that the popular caliber back int he day?
    Not to start a caliber war; The .357 Remington Magnum WAS one of the baddest handgun cartridges, for a long time. It is still no slouch. It has a very well-entrenched reputation for being an ideal cartridge for two-legged goblins.

While it's not a 'big bore' round, the combination of super high velocity and relatively light bullet weights, with slugs that can reliably expand, make for a so called 'perfect storm' for handgun round 'stopping power' (in human targets anyway). The so called 'lightening bolt' effect that you read about in LEO circles from the 50s-80s came from the .357's ability to transfer enormous energy into a target without overpenetrating.

When LEO's switched to auto pistols, the .357's legendary performance gave way to the 'wonder nine' and high capacity polymers.

I do believe the 125 gr. sjhp .357 magnum still 'outperforms' (by small margins) most or all of the great 9mm, 40, 45, and even 357 sig rounds, especially when coupled with a 6 inch barrel.

(Dauphin County)

357 is I believe the most deadly round of all times. It's powerful, fast thus creating the best expansion. I would not want to get shot with one. If you get hit in the leg by by leg. Arm by by arm. Chest and head dead and abdomen better get to hospital fast. Unfortunately you don't get the full power out of a snubby. You need at least a 4" barrel then you have a beast.

(Juniata County)

& if you put it in a carbine it is great for deer, & equal invent to a 30/30
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

They served for your rights to do that, of course it makes them happy to see you exercising them!

(Lancaster County)

SP101 in .357 mag is my daily carry out here in Lancaster Co. I lived in Silverdale for 19 years so maybe .357 is an upper Bucks thing.

As an aside I just got home from a day in the PRNJ visiting my daughter. I never did feel right. I had to leave the ruger at home and had to do a recon on the truck for ammo that I had stashed. Back home now in PA and I can finally take a deep breath and relax.