Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Custom holsters....

Looking for someone local (or not) that does custom leatherwork for holsters.

Specifically, I'm looking for someone who can create a pair of left handed 5" 1911 holsters that are lined to protect finish. One for everyday carry, and the other a little more exotic for my wedding. Finish on the 1911s are excellent and I want to keep a few of them that way.

So. Does any one know of any one who does work like I described? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Custom holsters....

Tea actually...I'll kill you with my tea cup.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by tgriffit View Post

Specifically, I'm looking for someone who can create a pair of left handed 5" 1911 holsters that are lined to protect finish. One for everyday carry, and the other a little more exotic for my wedding. Finish on the 1911s are excellent and I want to keep a few of them that way.

So. Does any one know of any one who does work like I described? Thanks in advance!
    I've had good experiences with Tim Thurner, in California. I'd encourage you to give him a call. http://ttgunleather.com/index.html

(Montgomery County)

www.frontierleatherworks.com is over in Strasburg, PA. Make some really top quality stuff and I'm sure he would be able to help you out.

- Jon P.

(Delaware County)

give rusty sherrick a call in elizabethtown.. does awesome work

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tgriffit View Post

It's not local but online, Wright Leather Works. I have three holsters from them. Great workmanship, great customer service. They have lined holsters for a little more $$. Just have to wait 13 weeks for them to get it to you.

(Beaver County)

I don't know if he'll do a lined holster but it might be worth the phone call/email.

http://www.purekustomholsters.com/

(Allegheny County)

Lined holsters can be finish problematic. Generally lined holsters are lined with leather that has been tanned with chromium salts which can attack your finish.

A good holster is usually made with 8-9 oz leather. A good holster maker could make you a custom rig of sandwiched 3-4 or 4-5 leather with the grain side out on both pieces so you end up with a 4 layer holster. Thing is... all holster wear.. you can't avoid it.