Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Puppy's death in apparent hunting accident...

Honest to god, one of the most petty things people get fired up about is a loose dog. I have never understood why the Pennsylvania mentality about a loose dog is so negative.

I've lived in many states and have never encountered such a strong negative mentality about a loose dog.
    I can certainly understand if one lives in a city but living in a location where there is enough acreage to allow hunting, not so much.

Yes, I understand fecal matter, trash cans, and other negative actions some dogs partake in. Shooting a 45lb dog with an arrow for chasing a deer is stupid. Shooting any dog chasing a deer is stupid. The woods and fields in PA are very thick (heavy vegetation) and I think it would be very unusual to actually see a "DOG" chasing a deer and attacking said deer.

Now, I do believe one can surmise a dog following behind a deer by a few minutes in time might be chasing but if a dog is a few minutes behind in time, how is the dog chasing? That would be following and surely not attacking.

Dog shooting for following deer, Stupid. Without the express, direct fact of an actual attack, dog biting deer and taking it down to the ground, no shooting.

CL

Actually, it is very amazing this guy lets people hunt on his property, or they trespassed, then they shoot his dog.

What is really amazing, is people actually blame the landowner.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Wow this story has quite a few gaps! Why did the Hunters report that a Dog was shot? Why wasn't the Dog on a Leash? Was the Dog chasing a Deer?

Quote from the story (At around 7:30, Dieter says she received a call from a neighbor who said hunters using his wooded property informed him they shot and killed a dog with an arrow.)

I blame the owner for lack of supervision with the Dog......
    Or how about the hunters for not identifying their target.

(Lancaster County)

It was only a matter of time before these things got a dog killed.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I blame the dog owner..

If they would have followed state law and kept their dog leashed or fenced in this probably wouldn't have happened.
    I remember when i took my hunter safety class im pretty sure the make sure you identify you target before shooting at it is one of the top rules. I'm also pretty sure there is nothing that says you can blast any fucking animal that moves. The dog may not have been leashed but if the dog was on property that it was allowed to be on then i don't see a problem. I lived in the county grew up on a 52 acre farm had dogs that were never on a leash, property was posted no hunting, people that had permission to hunt on the land knew we had dogs, we never had issues. Actually now that i think about it almost if not all of the farms in the area had dogs that were never leashed and we never herd of someones dog getting shot.
    IANAL

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Now, I do believe one can surmise a dog following behind a deer by a few minutes in time might be chasing but if a dog is a few minutes behind in time, how is the dog chasing? That would be following and surely not attacking.

Dog shooting for following deer, Stupid. Without the express, direct fact of an actual attack, dog biting deer and taking it down to the ground, no shooting.

CL
    Dogs take down deer the same way they take down any other animal, the same way coyotes and wolves do it, by running them until they can't run anymore. Anyone that allows their dogs to run during deer season is an asshole and doesn't deserve to own a dog.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post

You can bet Dieter's property will no longer be permitted to be hunted as long as he resides there....

I know some Dieters in that area, (not sure if its relation) but I wouldn't bet on your statement!

I'm sure there is a lot more to the story than any local news will report. Who knows what really happened at this point. The dog may have been a threat to the hunter. From my take of what I heard (on the news) the dog was on the neighbors property. The hunter reported shooting the dog to the property owner, the news didn't give any reason why!

Sure it sucks for the family to loose a pet. But on the same note I don't let my dog run the town!

A few years ago I just about shot a dog while Turkey hunting. I was hunting on a friend's land, and I heard a dog start barking relatively close but didn't see it. It didn't take long till I saw it closing in on me, growling and barking. I yelled get out of here and it kept closing in. I yelled again it kept coming, it was about 15 to 20 feet away when I finally heard a guy yell for the dog. I yelled back does it bite, he responded but I couldn't hear what he said with the dog growling and going ape shit feet away. I yelled you better stop him fast. He yelled the dogs name and it turned away from me looking towards the owner. What a relief that was, then once the owner got to the dog it hit me that I damn near had to kill this dog in front of the owner.
    I later found out that it was a guy who worked for my friend who owns the land and he was told not to bring the dog on the property during any hunting seasons. The guy didn't say much to me but did tell my friend to thank me for not shooting.

Hokkmike Guest

A. No evidence that the dog was chasing a deer has been presented.

B. The notion that a hunter killed the dog is merely speculation.

C. A 10 months the dog is no longer a puppy.

D. Yes, we all feel sorry for the family, but why was the animal allowed to run free in the woods?

More facts are needed......

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Honest to god, one of the most petty things people get fired up about is a loose dog. I have never understood why the Pennsylvania mentality about a loose dog is so negative.

I've lived in many states and have never encountered such a strong negative mentality about a loose dog.
    I can certainly understand if one lives in a city but living in a location where there is enough acreage to allow hunting, not so much.

Yes, I understand fecal matter, trash cans, and other negative actions some dogs partake in. Shooting a 45lb dog with an arrow for chasing a deer is stupid. Shooting any dog chasing a deer is stupid. The woods and fields in PA are very thick (heavy vegetation) and I think it would be very unusual to actually see a "DOG" chasing a deer and attacking said deer.

CL
    I cant figure it out myself. And to shoot a small dog (m ost likely because it pissed the hunter off) is uncalled for. there are other ways to remove the dog from your hunting area, figure it out. I know asshole hunters that shoot cats. The cats with collars are worth ten dollars. So i wouldnt put it past some asshole with a bow to do something like this. I wonder if the asshole (so called hunter) has a dog? I highly doubt it. He lucky to still be walking.

(Bucks County)

Wonder if it was running deer or if they thought it was a vote or if the owner let the dog out because they were hunting?

Sad.... During the season keep us pets in proper form.... Maybe orange vest if you are going to let it roam... Or keep on leash...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast