Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Modern Muzzleloader

This is my first year hunting with a crossbow. I got into it only because I like hunting and wanted to have more opportunities; not just limited to the 2 week rifle season. It's been a real challenge for sure. It's just hard to get them to come in close enough....

Been out 3 times and haven't been able to even get a shot. I've seen a couple but just too far based on my capabilities. It's been frustrating but fun too. I won't be able to get back out until late archery season...I'll try again then if I don't get tagged out in rifle season.

I'm thinking about getting a muzzle loader for next season. Same reason...just to increase my hunting opportunities.

Any recommendations for a good modern muzzle loader? Hopefully one that won't break the bank. Any other pointers / pitfalls on muzzle loading?

Thanks in advance.
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Modern Muzzleloader

Savage M 10. Screw Thompson and S&W. Remember you can only use inlines at the beginning of the year, flint lock at the end. Lots of states allow smoke poles with scopes and some don't just in case you ever want to go west young man.

(Westmoreland County)

Well, it depends upon how big your bank is. I already owned my ProHunter frame and stock, and I had a .223 barrel that I no longer used, so I swapped it along with some cash for a T\C 209 X 50 in-line barrel. All I can tell you is that with using Blackhorn powder, 100gr. and the Hornady 325gr. bullet in a Sabot, this is just a rifle without brass. Out to 300 yards, from a rest (I have a 3x9 Leupold scope on it) nothing will escape the bullet if (IF) I do my job.

Dave

CVA wolf. I got one last year for my birthday. great gun with no problems so far. dropped a doe with it this October. good gun at a good price in my opinion.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

(Somerset County)

I won a Traditions Pa. Pellet Flintlock recently. It's a flintlock so it is legal in both the early and late muzzloader seasons. It's designed to use pellets of Pyrodex or Triple Seven and twisted at 1:48 for sabots or Maxi Hunter bullets. The book says round balls will work but may not give the best accuracy.

So far, I've been working with sabots and the 44 caliber bullets I had on hand for my 44 mag and using loose Pyrodex RS. I've only got 15 rounds down the barrel but it seems to be working, these were shot at 50 yds with open sights.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I won a Traditions Pa. Pellet Flintlock recently. It's a flintlock so it is legal in both the early and late muzzloader seasons. It's designed to use pellets of Pyrodex or Triple Seven and twisted at 1:48 for sabots or Maxi Hunter bullets. The book says round balls will work but may not give the best accuracy.

So far, I've been working with sabots and the 44 caliber bullets I had on hand for my 44 mag and using loose Pyrodex RS. I've only got 15 rounds down the barrel but it seems to be working, these were shot at 50 yds with open sights.

Dale
    I would love to know more about that flintlock. what do you charge the pan with? do you ever get a flash with no main charge ignition?
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

(Somerset County)

I'm using 4F to prime the pan. I've had two misfires so far. The first one was with my very first shot, I had a nice flash and no bang. Turns out that when I reassembled the breech plug into the barrel after a 'new gun cleaning', I didn't index it right and the touchhole ended up on the bottom of the barrel, not next to the flashpan. Tore it apart, put it together right, reloaded and Boom!

The second one, I forgot to run a pipe cleaner into the touchhole before starting for the day. Did that, reprimed and boom. Each time at the range, it has gone off every time after I got the first shot rookie mistakes out of the way. It's been about 30 years since I shot a muzzleloader so I'm a bit rusty.

Link to my rifle, the owners manual is there too, under the 'support files' tab.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...tree-Xtra-Camo

Dale

(Montgomery County)

I've never thought of a flintlock. But, it would be interesting to buy a gun that I could use in both seasons. Am I correct that in early muzzleloader you can use a scope but not in the flintlock season? Could you attach a scope to a the gun you mentioned for the early season and remove in late season? I don't know anything about flintlocks. What would you say the effective range of a flintlock is? Is it greater than a crossbow (which for me is no further than 40 yards)
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

(Lawrence County)

If you're looking for more time to hunt I'd definitely get a flintlock, the season usually starts the day after Christmas so most people have days off and it lasts 2 weeks in most of the State but is a full month in wmu's 2b, 5c and 5d and you can still take a buck. Next to archery it's my favorite season to hunt, makes you feel like Daniel Boone, lol.

As far as accuracy I can hit minute of deer at 100 yards no problem, there are stories of our guys taking out redcoats at a couple hundred yards during the Revolutionary War. They do take a little getting used to when you first start shooting with the flash going off right in front of your face but you get used to it.

For me they're just a lot more fun to hunt with than an inline. I've never talked to anyone that shot one that didn't enjoy it, it's my kids favorite gun to shoot. I get a doe tag every year but have never shot one in archery or rifle, I save it for flintlock. It's just a great time to be in the woods, unless it happens to be 5 degrees outside.

(Lackawanna County)

I can't offer any advice about flintlocks ( although it looks way cool) but I have used a T/C Impact .50cal inline muzzleloader for about three years now. It's your basic muzzleloader with few frills, but it's comfortable to shoot and accurate. I got mine at Cabelas as a combo with a nice Bushnell scope factory bore sighted for like $275. I've put about 100 rounds thru it, no problems.

I like the power belt bullets that don't have any kind of sabot, they load easier and are plenty accurate. Also, buy the "triple seven" brand powder pellets vs the original Pyrodex, the Pyrodex smells awful lol
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast