Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Ammo/Sight Calibration info question

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone reading here knows and can tell me precisely what ammunition is used by Smith & Wesson to calibrate the sights in their semi-automatic 9mm pistols.
    From my reading at a S&W forum I am beginning to suspect that they use 124 grain of some kind, which is helpful, but I am trying to find more detailed information.

I am specifically looking for the ammunition used to calibrate the sights for the Smith & Wesson 915, because I have just obtained one. I know it will be standard pressure, and my reading leads me to believe it will be 124 grains, but I have not been able to determine if it was jacketed, nor what shape it is/was. I also want to know the range at which they calibrated the sights.

For instance, I discovered a while back that the specific ammunition used by Taurus to calibrate the sights in my Taurus 82 with 4" barrel was Standard Pressure 158 grain FMJFP, at 7 yards. Amazingly, that ammo at that range hits dead on at POA in that pistol.

So, does anyone know this data for S&W Semi-autos?

Thanks.
    If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. George S. Patton

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ammo/Sight Calibration info question

Call and ask them?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    Call and ask them?
    Sounds reasonable to me.

What does it matter unless you're going to use that exact ammo all the time? I will tell you that a 124 gr, 1100 fps 9mm round is going to hit virtually the same spot at 15 to 25 yds that a 115 gr, 1200 fps will. Defense situations will be the same, as well, unless you are shooting at thugs two blocks away. In that case, you may want your ammo more precisely known.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

At the ranges you're shooting a pistol at, POI shift isn't noticeable.

Based on your question, have you even shot the pistol? Have you run in to issues?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ar180shooter View Post
    At the ranges you're shooting a pistol at, POI shift isn't noticeable.

Based on your question, have you even shot the pistol? Have you run in to issues?
    Not looking for an argument, but I do not recall mentioning the ranges at which I shoot anything. That being said, no, I have yet to shoot the S&W. So, I have yet to run into issues. I also have yet to buy ammunition. I was trying to find out the information I mention before investing in ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    What does it matter unless you're going to use that exact ammo all the time? I will tell you that a 124 gr, 1100 fps 9mm round is going to hit virtually the same spot at 15 to 25 yds that a 115 gr, 1200 fps will. Defense situations will be the same, as well, unless you are shooting at thugs two blocks away. In that case, you may want your ammo more precisely known.
    I have had an entirely different experience than that with Standard, Hotter-than-standard, and +P loads of varying weights in .38 special. In a pistol designed for standard loads, +P ammo shot as much as eight inches low at 15 yards, consistently. Buffalo Bore (hotter than standard, but not hot enough to be called +P) and Standard loads at 130 grains shot 4 inches low, consistently. In my experience, it does indeed matter. Lighter, and hotter loads leave the barrel earlier in the recoil rise, and therefore shoot lower. heavier projectiles shoot higher. So, I always buy (and reload) standard pressure/158 grains for my .38 Special revolver. Sometimes FMJ, Sometimes lead hollow point, but always 158 grains, which shoots to point of aim in my pistol, consistently.

This has been my experience. Google "heavier bullets shoot higher" and you'll see that I am not alone.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    Call and ask them?
    That's probably what I will end up doing. Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Not many companies "calibrate" their pistol sights. Most just throw them on and center them. They shoot a round for ballistic fingerprinting and ship them out.

(Chester County)

147's are what you need in a 3rd gen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast