Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default New Para Blackops

I got the itch to buy another 1911 while I wait for my nighthawk (27 months and counting) I wanted something I could carry and use as a night stand gun. I really wanted a rail ( I don't own, well didn't own a handgun with a rail on it) I could have bought a TRP, my LGS had three of them. One stainless no rail, one 3/4 rail and one full rail. With the holidays coming up I did not want to spend quite that much money though. I looked at about 15 different 1911s between yesterday and today. I had it narrowed down to 4, a S&W scandium frame e series, a springfield LW champion operator, a sig tac ops non traditional profile slide and a para black ops. The first round was between the e series smith and the tac ops sig. Both guns are amazing and I would love to have either of them. The non traditional slide profile was a deal breaker for me though and I really liked that smith with the scandium frame. Both guns had really good fit and finish to them, both were external extractors (not my preference but not a deal breaker) So the first round winner was the smith. I then compared it to the Springfield lw champion operator. The operator was a fantastic gun. Commander length, lightweight and had a rail. The fit and finish was better than the trp I looked at yesterday and it was about $700 cheaper. Compared to the smith e series it was a better gun. The smith does give you a ton of features for the money such as a serrated top and rearer checkering on the slide but it did not have a rail and the springfield had a better fit to it. The slide felt like it was on ball bearings and I was highly impressed. Next was the black ops. A gun that I actually did not know they had at my LGS and I was originaly only considering the previous three guns. A friend of mine is the one who spotted it. I must admit, I have/had mixed feelings about Para. I used to own a warthog and it was a very good gun. I never had any issues with it but a few of my friends had some real bad luck with para about 8 years or so ago. But I figured while I was there and from all the good things I have been reading on this forum about the "new" para and Travis Tomasie ensuring that issues are being taken care of; I might as well take a look at it. I was blown away. I myself, my friend, two guys that work in the store and one random guy that I asked for his opinion all agreed that the fit,finish,trigger and action were better than the Springfield LW champion operator. It was better than the limber my friend had on him, it was better than the full rail trp that was $1800, which is a REALLY cool gun by the way. I asked for a deal and I got one. Just under $1300 out the door which for where I live is a good deal. I can not wait to get her cleaned up and put a few rounds down range. I hope I will have the time tomorrow but if not there is always next weekend. What can I say, so far I am super happy with this gun. Thanks to everyone at Para who have really turned this company around and for making such an amazing gun.

Please excuse the low quality cell phone pics

(Centre County)

Default Re: New Para Blackops

Please keep us posted.
    Im VERY interested in first hand experience on them, since I want one myself

(and my past experience with Para aren't great)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Venango County)

I have to say that this pistol is very very impressive as far as the build quality is concerned. I might get to the range tomorrow, depending on weather.

Quote Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
    I have to say that this pistol is very very impressive as far as the build quality is concerned. I might get to the range tomorrow, depending on weather.
    The fit of your Para looks like the fit of my wife's Expert Commander...exceptional. I was highly impressed with how smoothly the slide rode the frame rails without the spring in, and with only the slightest movement side to side, and I mean the slightest. Barrel bushing was at the 'tight' setting and 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch more may have been a tic too tight. At seven yds, 10 shots looks like a 12 ga. slug hole, even with the shorter sight radius. Picking up the fiber optic blade with the rear black sight is awesome. The only issues we had with her Para were some of the hand work was not up to par, even by low budget, 1911 standards. After 2 1/2 hours, it was ready for a holster. She loves hers, and at 28.2 oz with an empty mag and full of grease, is a pleasure to carry. She actually chose the Para over all of the Kimber Pro Carry II models she looked at. Personally, I liked a couple of the Kimbers, better, but you can't hardly argue with a lifetime warranty of the Para, and their willingness to correct any issues.

BTW...that Black Op's looks pretty awesome.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    The fit of your Para looks like the fit of my wife's Expert Commander...exceptional. I was highly impressed with how smoothly the slide rode the frame rails without the spring in, and with only the slightest movement side to side, and I mean the slightest. Barrel bushing was at the 'tight' setting and 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch more may have been a tic too tight. At seven yds, 10 shots looks like a 12 ga. slug hole, even with the shorter sight radius. Picking up the fiber optic blade with the rear black sight is awesome. The only issues we had with her Para were some of the hand work was not up to par, even by low budget, 1911 standards. After 2 1/2 hours, it was ready for a holster. She loves hers, and at 28.2 oz with an empty mag and full of grease, is a pleasure to carry. She actually chose the Para over all of the Kimber Pro Carry II models she looked at. Personally, I liked a couple of the Kimbers, better, but you can't hardly argue with a lifetime warranty of the Para, and their willingness to correct any issues.

BTW...that Black Op's looks pretty awesome.
    I just got back from shooting...what a great gun. It is very windy here so I did not bother using a target. But I did hut everything I aimed at. 100% reliable. Put 100 rounds through it. A mix of rulammo and cci bkaser with two nags of gold sot 185gr. I have to say the fit of this pistol is very very good. I am super impressed. With the light on the gun it has no muzzle rise and is a hoot to shoot.

(Monroe County)

Congrats on your Para, they're fine Guns.
    I own 2 a LTC covert and a TAC-S no longer made, never a lick of trouble from either one.sporting these 015.jpg

(York County)

Off subject, but my buddy just traded his DE 50cal for a Springfield 1911 A1. Straight up even trade. I thought he was an idiot, however, I haven't seen 50 A&E ammo in forever.

Back on subject, that is a sweet pistola! I love railed guns, just for the option of accessories. A 1911 is my next pistol. (I keep saying this but I always end up with something else)
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by felly smarts View Post
    Off subject, but my buddy just traded his DE 50cal for a Springfield 1911 A1. Straight up even trade. I thought he was an idiot, however, I haven't seen 50 A&E ammo in forever.

Back on subject, that is a sweet pistola! I love railed guns, just for the option of accessories. A 1911 is my next pistol. (I keep saying this but I always end up with something else)
    I have a few 1911's but this one is the best one I own and the others are kimbers. I have a Nighthawk on order, after it comes in I fear I will be ruined and I will be selling my other 1911's to fund another nighthawk.
    Last edited by awdxtc; November 13th, 2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
    I have a few 1911's but this one is the best one I own and the others are limbers. I have a Nighthawk on order, after it comes in I fear I will be ruined and I will be selling my other 1911's to fund another nighthawk.
    Been thinking about getting me one of those limber 1911's, myself. Never shot one, yet.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Been thinking about getting me one of those limber 1911's, myself. Never shot one, yet.
    LOL, man I gotta stop working doubles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast