Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default .30-30 vs 12 gauge slugs for deer

I was invited up to my friend's deer camp for the first three days of firearms season this year. Not sure what the terrain is like or how far out shots could be.

I have only ever hunted Bucks County so I have always taken my Remington 870 Police (20" bbl with rifle sights) loaded up with Remington Slugger rifled slugs. I'm very comfortable shooting this gun at 50 yards and can touch three slugs on paper at that distance. I've never had the chance to take a deer, but looking at those big holes on paper I was always confident that it would get the job done up to 60-75 yards.

Since I will be hunting outside of the Special Regs area this year I will be able to use a rifle if I choose to. The only center fire rifle I own is a 91/30 that I don't want to use.

I can borrow my buddy's Marlin 30-30 lever action with irons if I want to. If I decide to take it I will be spending the next few weeks at the range with it to become comfortable with how it shoots.

If you could pick one of these two firearms for deer in an unknown area, which would you bring and why?

(Erie County)

Default Re: .30-30 vs 12 gauge slugs for deer

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    I was invited up to my friend's deer camp for the first three days of firearms season this year. Not sure what the terrain is like or how far out shots could be.

I have only ever hunted Bucks County so I have always taken my Remington 870 Police (20" bbl with rifle sights) loaded up with Remington Slugger rifled slugs. I'm very comfortable shooting this gun at 50 yards and can touch three slugs on paper at that distance. I've never had the chance to take a deer, but looking at those big holes on paper I was always confident that it would get the job done up to 60-75 yards.

Since I will be hunting outside of the Special Regs area this year I will be able to use a rifle if I choose to. The only center fire rifle I own is a 91/30 that I don't want to use.

I can borrow my buddy's Marlin 30-30 lever action with irons if I want to. If I decide to take it I will be spending the next few weeks at the range with it to become comfortable with how it shoots.

If you could pick one of these two firearms for deer in an unknown area, which would you bring and why?
    Ask your friend about the terrain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
    Ask your friend about the terrain.
    All I have so far is "Everyone that hunts the area uses rifles, some scoped and some with irons." Mostly woods and clearings, not farm land or wide open fields. Near Loyalsock State Forest north of Williamsport.

(Westmoreland County)

On deer there is no real advantage to the shotgun except familiarity. If you have the time I would probably borrow the 30.30 just in case you get a little longer shot. JMO

(Chester County)

I would go 30-30 verses non rifled barrel shotgun.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Bucks County)

The only benefit I could think of with the shotgun was more "knock-down power" and/or a bigger hole. The familiarity biases me of course too.

Guess I will pick up some ammo for the Marlin and spend some time at the range.

(Lehigh County)

Use the cheaper ammo to familiarize yourself with the gun then hone in with the leverevolution bullets from hornady. One of the best bullets for that gun shots out 150 yard possible now with 3030. My brother in law shot a deer at 80 yards or so and performance was great!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Wayne County)

If your shooting under 100 yards and your that good with the 870 stay with it. Over 100 go with the turdy turdy.

(Lycoming County)

All I have so far is "Everyone that hunts the area uses rifles, some scoped and some with irons." Mostly woods and clearings, not farm land or wide open fields. Near Loyalsock State Forest north of Williamsport.
    I hunted all around the area here with a Win. 94 30-30 for close to 20 years. If your not hunting farm land you will be hard pressed to see a deer that is out of range for a 30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    Use the cheaper ammo to familiarize yourself with the gun then hone in with the leverevolution bullets from hornady. One of the best bullets for that gun shots out 150 yard possible now with 3030. My brother in law shot a deer at 80 yards or so and performance was great!
    Would deffintly second this ammo. I switched over to it several years ago and have been impressed. Really tightened up the groups at 100yds.

Why no 91/30? Serious question, If your familiar with this rifle and shoot it well it would preform well for deer with one of the hunting loads out there from various manufactures. Ballistically 7.62x54 is similar to 30-06 which is one of the most highly touted deer cartridges ever.

(Erie County)

Unless you are familiar with shooting the 30-30 with iron sites I would pass on it. The sites on each firearm are unique and take getting used to. Good chance you will miss with it.

The scoped rifle would be the first choice (is it scoped, is it sighted in?).

The second choice would be the shotgun. A scoped 12 ga should be fine out to 100 yds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast