Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Red face More accurate with the 1911??

Hi everyone,
    I have been on the forums reading up on a lot of topics and there is a lot of good information and advice on this forum that keeps me coming back for more.

Before i frame my question, let me give you some information on my recent shooting history with some semi-autos i got to shoot over the course of a 1 month period:

To keep my bias in check, i placed all targets (cardboard cut out with a taped 5 inch pie plate in the center) at 15 yards, shot half a box (25 rounds of .45ACP Blazer ammo), stance was standing, two handed on a slow fire drill. All groups were 5 shot groups.

Glock 21 Gen 4 SF Variant:
    The shot spread was around 5 to 5.5 inches with one outlier at 6 inches but that was primarily operator error.

Sig 220:
    Shot spread was slightly tighter. The trigger broke a lot more crisply than the glock and got a spread at about 4.5 to 5 inches.

HK45:
    Shot similar to the Sig 220 with no discernible difference other than the trigger reset felt different.

STI Trojan 5" 1911 (mine):
    Kept the grouping tight at 2.5 to 3 inches.

Here is my question:
    I have not had the STI for a long time. I only just got it about 3 months back. Why is that I was able to hold a tighter group with the 1911 than the other Semi-Autos? Please bear in mind, i was always super OCD about my grip, my breathing, steadying my aim, etc. I am no sharpshooter but i tried to shoot each of the firearms with the same consistency as best as I could.

Is there any reason why i was able to do better with the 1911 than the other Semi-Autos?

I was trying out different handguns because the ONLY issue i have with the 1911 is the low round count in the single stack magazines. I rectified the issue with the 10 round Wilson Combat Magazines. Presently, the STI Trojan is my Carry gun of choice.

Given the wealth of wisdom on this forum and me being a novice handgun shooter (been shooting handguns only for about a couple of years and rather irregularly at that), i figured this would be the perfect place to post the question.

Thanks in advance.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: More accurate with the 1911??

The 1911 arguably has the best, lightest trigger of the pistols mentioned. That's really all there is to it.

Well, there's a lot more to it, but that's all I'm getting into.

Did you shoot the P220 and HK DA than SA?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Bucks County)

1911s are inherently more accurate out of that bunch, follow closely by the P220, that's all there is to it. Most average shooters(myself included) would probably get similar result.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by pche View Post
    1911s are inherently more accurate out of that bunch, follow closely by the P220, that's all there is to it. Most average shooters(myself included) would probably get similar result.
    I wouldn't say inherently. I'd say they have a different trigger, different grip angle, different bore axis. Some people can't shoot 1911s for shit.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

As much as I want to sing the praises of John Moses Browning, I suspect is probably just your shooting on that particular time. I think you would have to run that excercise over and over, with different shooters to make a claim that one gun is inherently accurate than another. Even two examples of the same pistol design can give different results.

That said. I think the steel frame of a 1911 eases recoil and makes it easier to stay on target.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I wouldn't say inherently. I'd say they have a different trigger, different grip angle, different bore axis. Some people can't shoot 1911s for shit.
    Let me rephrase, 1911s are more accurate by design-IMHO. Before I shot my first 1911, I used to have a big collection of Glocks, now they've all been replaced by 1911s and other steel frame SA semis. I've never looked back. Again, just my personal opinion, your result may vary.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    As much as I want to sing the praises of John Moses Browning, I suspect is probably just your shooting on that particular time. I think you would have to run that excercise over and over, with different shooters to make a claim that one gun is inherently accurate than another. Even two examples of the same pistol design can give different results.

That said. I think the steel frame of a 1911 eases recoil and makes it easier to stay on target.
    I would agree with this.

A 1911 may just fit you better, i.e. trigger, sight picture, recoil, weight, etc. as well as familiarity.

(Bucks County)

Did you shoot the P220 and HK DA than SA?
    Shot them both Single Action to stay true to the test since the 1911 is a SA only. Only exception was the Glock of course, did not have a choice with that.

Quote Originally Posted by pche View Post
    The 220 had similar recoil characteristics as the HK. Glock was the worst of the bunch. Muzzle flip was rather pronounced with the Glock - I would attribute that to the weight of the firearm - I think.

Ha! I was terrified of exactly that. However, at the end of the day, graduating from a SW 5906 to the full size 1911 has been rather educational - in a good way. I NEVER knew trigger pulls could be such a breeze on the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post

You sir, have pointed out the largest flaw in my test and are absolutely correct! Unfortunately,My test was limited to the amount of $$$ i wanted to spend on Ammo - 25 rounds per handgun might appear rather paltry but spending $100+ on ammo to decide on what shooting platform i wanted to get was a little taxing on my wallet. I am blessed to have friends that would let me shoot their handguns just to get the feel for it.

The 1911 had the most manageable recoil of the bunch followed by the Sig and the HK. You are bang on the money on that one.

(Bucks County)

I would say the longer sight radius is what is helping you with the 1911...

They all should be in the same class of accuracy

(Montgomery County)

I have had a similar experience with a 1911. I think it was due to a number of factors, actually, but it was largely due to the weight of the weapon. The reduction in felt recoil is one thing, but of primary importance is the tendency of lighter weapons to magnify one's idiosyncrasies during trigger pull. You shot better because you make mistakes large enough to move a lighter pistol, but which are not large enough to budge the 1911.

Of course, I could be wrong.
    If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. George S. Patton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast