Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Warren County)

Default ny to pa pistol transfer.

Last night my father in law told my wife and i that she is getting a revolver from her grandfather who lives in ny. He has had this pistol since sometime in the 1950s and no one has any idea what exactly it is so its a bit of a mystery.

My question is what do i do to keep this all legal? Can he bring said pistol to an ffl in pa to transfer it to her? or do we need to go to an ffl in ny and have it shipped to an ffl in PA? I am assuming that the grand parrent to grandchild rule is not in effect as the pistol is coming across state lines, but please let me know if i am wrong.

Convincing the old man to go to an ffl of any kind is gonna be a bit of a challenge either way.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: ny to pa pistol transfer.

If he has his NYS pistol permit he should be ok to bring it to a FFL in PA to do a proper transfer. Even if his permit is only a residence/target/hunting - I think it does allow transporting DIRECTLY to a FFL/gunsmith. He would then need to get the pistol struck from his permit.

Legally he is allowed to ship the handgun via common carrier(Fedex, UPS, etc) directly to a FFL in PA to complete the transfer, but many FFL want guns shipped from another FFL.

The safest route would be for him to take it to a FFL near him, have his FFL ship the gun to a FFL in PA. Then the FFL in PA would transfer it to your wife.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Warren County)

Default Re: ny to pa pistol transfer.

thats what i figured. NY making everything harder.