Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Where in PA can I get an AR lower receiver anodized?

Well I finished a few 80% AR lower receivers...and now I'm finding out that the few metal finishing companies I was aware of will not deal with individuals, but only with other companies.

Does anyone know of a company that will anodize a few items for a private person?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Where in PA can I get an AR lower receiver anodized?

Pretty sure Black Forge does

they also sell "DIY" kits

similiar to this

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/525...OMPLETED_.html
    Last edited by Svickstc; November 7th, 2013 at 11:02 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for the link. What's "Black Forge"...this place? Unfortunately I don't see anything on their web site about doing anodizing.

Easton firearms refinishing does also of work.. Dont know about anodizing(sp) but the do also with ceracoke....right down the turpike in easton.

(Lackawanna County)

Just to follow up on this topic in case anyone else is in the same situation: I gave up on finding anyone to do this anodizing.

Of the few commercial places that would do it, they all wanted some kind of serial number on the receiver before they would work on it. They also wanted what I thought was a lot of money; so I did it myself.

Here's what I did:

I mixed up two liters of a 2% by weight lye (sodium hydroxide) etching solution, i.e., about 20 grams of lye per liter of solution. (Using distilled water).

I also mixed up a desmutting solution comprising about 30 grams/liter of ammonium persulfate, and 50 grams/liter of sodium bisulfate. (Using distilled water).

I mixed up an anodizing solution comprising one liter of "battery acid" (dilute sulfuric acid) from one of the local auto parts stores, with 2.5 liters of distilled water.

I mixed up a black dye solution from Caswell, as per the instructions, and put it in an old ceramic crock pot, and set the crock pot on "low".

I used a four liter polypropylene kitchen food storage container as the anodizing tank, using some 1/8" diameter aluminum wire wound in a spiral, as the cathode.

Then I took another piece of 1/8" diameter aluminum wire, about 12 inches long, bent about one inch over on itself, pressed it together in a vise, and threaded the doubled-up section of aluminum wire into the hole for the machine screw that holds the pistol grip in place.

To prepare the lower receiver, I first washed it in a detergent solution of "alconox" (I think you can use any other decent detergent). I then blasted it with medium-fine glass beads to create a uniform surface. (This seems to be important if you want a nice matte finish).

Then, I washed it again in detergent solution for a few minutes, rinsed it in distilled water, soaked it in the lye (etchant) solution for about 20 or 30 seconds (I waited until I saw fine bubbles coming off it + 10 seconds).

Then I rinsed it in distilled water.

Then I put it in the desmutting solution for about 5 minutes.

Then I rinsed it in distilled water.

Then it went into the anodizing tank for about 90 minutes, at a DC current of about 3 amps.

Then I pulled it out of the anodizing tank, rinsed it in distilled water, and then it went into the crock pot containing the warm dye solution, for about 15 minutes.

After coming out of the dye solution, I gently shook it off and patted it dry with paper towel and then steamed it, i.e., I held it over a pot of boiling distilled water (using the aluminum wire as a handle), for about 5 minutes, then I immersed it into the boiling distilled water for about 10 more minutes, to seal the pores.

Then I rinsed the piece in cold tap water, dried it, and lastly - and this is important - I rubbed it down with gun oil. (The dye seems to leave a surface film which the oil rub down seems to remove; and if this isn't done, the piece just doesn't look very good).

If I get a chance I'll post some pictures showing how the various pieces came out. (To my eyes they look as good as anything I've seen from any of the major manufacturers).

Powder coating is really tougher, cheaper as well I think.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.