Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penn Township

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Penn Township

I belong to the Irwin Sportsmen's Club and I know that when the shooting starts at the old slate dumps in Westmoreland City….right across the creek from Irwin Sportsmen's, that's usually a problem. From what the "old timers" of the Club say, some heavy fines have been dished out to those who have been caught by the Irwin Police.

Reason is because there is no appropriate backstop for the bullets and flyers can go where they want, and houses are very close by.

I'm not saying this is true or false (the flyers) but I'm just passing on what I've heard.

Dave

(Westmoreland County)

Nice to see so many members from Penntownship.

(Westmoreland County)

I am currently a member at both Irwin and Logan's Ferry. Unless you have private property you are allowed to go to, I'd look for either a club to join, some of which can be very reasonable in cost, or risk the hassle of going to designated ranges on the state game lands (though I know this is not what it used to be even though many of them have upgraded facilities).

Otherwise, you are risking hassles you simply don't need as a gun owner. Why risk it? I know you're looking for 'free' but for a reasonable cost at a good club, you're talking maybe a box less of ammo a month for a year to go and shoot without hassle all year long.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

(Westmoreland County)

If you don't have an aversion to shooting indoors, you can shoot pistol at Trafford Sportsmen's indoor pistol range. Its 7 bucks per hour for non members to shoot, and if it's not busy, that one hour time limit is just a suggestion.

They're open to the public on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings and on Saturdays.

(Westmoreland County)

I probably wouldn't go to the slate dumps in Westmoreland City to shoot anymore as I wouldn't want to risk anything - I'm an adult now. But saying there is no proper backstop is incorrect as far as I can tell because the area where people shoot is into a giant hill. I've been there when I was young and dumb with friends and it seemed pretty safe to me but you really never know. About the range thing, I rarely have time to do anything so joining a club would definitely be a waste of money imho (many months would be wasted). But, also I don't know how a range works. If I pay 7.00/hr to use a range which is perfectly reasonable to me, how does it work? Are there targets that you have to buy also, can you bring your own ammo? I have never been to a range. Thanks!
    Last edited by HondaGamerDude; January 13th, 2014 at 11:46 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

I have been considering joining the Vandergrift Sportsmen Association for there 200-yard rifle range. From what I have found they are located near Northmoreland Park off of 356. They have both pistol and rifle ranges, some of the club rules seem a little strict, but the membership dues are very reasonable.
    http://vandergriftsportsmen.org/index.php

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HondaGamerDude View Post
    I probably wouldn't ghttp://p.cdn-pafoa.org/forum/images/editor/separator.gifo to the slate dumps in Westmoreland City to shoot anymore as I wouldn't want to risk anything - I'm an adult now. But saying there is no proper backstop is incorrect as far as I can tell because the area where people shoot is into a giant hill. I've been there when I was young and dumb with friends and it seemed pretty safe to me but you really never know. About the range thing, I rarely have time to do anything so joining a club would definitely be a waste of money imho (many months would be wasted). But, also I don't know how a range works. If I pay 7.00/hr to use a range which is perfectly reasonable to me, how does it work? Are there targets that you have to buy also, can you bring your own ammo? I have never been to a range. Thanks!
    I can't speak for the other ranges out there, but Trafford's indoor range charges 7 bucks per hour for non members. You can bring your own targets, or they have them for sale (5 for a buck). You can bring your own ammo and you can shoot any firearm that uses pistol ammo up to 44 magnum or 45 acp. The only ammo that is not permitted is high powered rifle (223, etc) or shotgun ammo. You can use lead or jacketed bullets. What a lot of people don't know is that the range is open to the public. That is, you don't have to be a guest of a member to use the range.

During the week, on alternating Monday evenings they have very informal pistol, and .22 rifle leagues, and on alternating Wednesday they have an air rifle league. They are always looking for new shooters and anyone is welcome to shoot. The league shoots cost 5 bucks per evening shoot. The winter league has started, but I think only one match has been shot so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12