Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking for a good gunsmith for ak western Pa

Looking for a good gunsmith in the Pittsburgh or surrounding area to press the front sight base off my rpk add my bipod then press it back on. Im not looking for a cheap job done with a hacksaw...looking for someone who know what they are doing. My normal gunsmith doesn't like to mess with ak front posts since the last one he did had to be redone due to canting.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Looking for a good gunsmith for ak western Pa

Quote Originally Posted by blueknight6670 View Post
    Looking for a good gunsmith in the Pittsburgh or surrounding area to press the front sight base off my rpk add my bipod then press it back on. Im not looking for a cheap job done with a hacksaw...looking for someone who know what they are doing. My normal gunsmith doesn't like to mess with ak front posts since the last one he did had to be redone due to canting.
    The guy Tim at Security and Military Depot in Indiana uses (about an hour away) does a lot of stuff like this. He doesn't seem to shy away from "black rifles". You may have to call Tim, and Tim call's him or maybe he has a direct number. If I recall, the guy builds FALs from kits, so I would think he could do something like that with ease. Down side, is it would probably take a week or so to get back.

I never dealt with them, but what about Economy Gunsmithing? He has a shop on the way to the Wexford Gamelands from Rt 65. Maybe worth a call?

Hope it works out for you!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks I will check both out

(Allegheny County)

You should also check out Josh Rowe at Allegheny Gun Works in Baldwin. Always had lots of milsurp stuff in his shop the few times I was there. Sorry, I don't have his number handy, but he has a website you can google.

what kind of bipod do you have? my rpd bipod mount is "hinged" you drive out a pin on either side, clamp it around the barrel and drive the pin back in. no messing with removing the front sight needed. maby post a pic of the mount.

edit... the rpk bipod is not hinged.

Is your barrel already relieved for the bipod?
    Last edited by USMC3531; November 9th, 2013 at 11:31 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    what kind of bipod do you have? my rpd bipod mount is "hinged" you drive out a pin on either side, clamp it around the barrel and drive the pin back in. no messing with removing the front sight needed. maby post a pic of the mount.

edit... the rpk bipod is not hinged.

Is your barrel already relieved for the bipod?
    Sorry it took me a little to get back. The RPK bipod is not hinged the RPD or PKM use a hinged collar. Yes my barrel is relieved behind the front sight block. It just needs the pins pressed out then the sight block pressed out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bikerzed View Post
    You should also check out Josh Rowe at Allegheny Gun Works in Baldwin. Always had lots of milsurp stuff in his shop the few times I was there. Sorry, I don't have his number handy, but he has a website you can google.
    Josh is absolutely the best gunsmith in the South Hills area, possibly even Pittsburgh....but he isn't set up to work on Ak's you need a 12 and 20 ton press. He is more of a pistol and ar guy.....but man can he do great work on either of them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    The guy Tim at Security and Military Depot in Indiana uses (about an hour away) does a lot of stuff like this. He doesn't seem to shy away from "black rifles". You may have to call Tim, and Tim call's him or maybe he has a direct number. If I recall, the guy builds FALs from kits, so I would think he could do something like that with ease. Down side, is it would probably take a week or so to get back.

I never dealt with them, but what about Economy Gunsmithing? He has a shop on the way to the Wexford Gamelands from Rt 65. Maybe worth a call?

Hope it works out for you!
    Well I called security and military depot and left a massage and never heard anything back. Economy refused once I mentioned it was an ak based evil black rifle.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by blueknight6670 View Post
    Well I called security and military depot and left a massage and never heard anything back. Economy refused once I mentioned it was an ak based evil black rifle.
    When did you call? He's closed on Sundays, 9-6 on Weekdays, and 9-5 on Saturday. I'm pretty sure it's 9 and not 10.