Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Red face Re: Best range/club to join around mars?

Mars Rod and Gun Club and BVRPC are different types of clubs but both are great, IMO.

Just wondering - do you travel to shoot at the SGL near Blairsville, Indiana County regularly? That's a fairly long way but I'd rather go there than Wexford if I had to use SGL ranges.

Uh oh. Just realized the OP is from 2013!
    Last edited by SuperVel; November 18th, 2014 at 07:36 PM.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Best range/club to join around mars?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperVel View Post
    Mars Rod and Gun Club and BVRPC are different types of clubs but both are great, IMO.

Just wondering - do you travel to shoot at the SGL near Blairsville, Indiana County regularly? That's a fairly long way but I'd rather go there than Wexford if I had to use SGL ranges.

Funnily enough this thread is still valid for me (the OP).

I will be looking to join up at Mars Rod and Gun Club in January when membership reopens. Unfortunately I missed the opening over the summer as I was out of town.

I was shooting at the Indiana SGL at the time of the OP because I was still living up there. Thankfully my work brings be through there once a week so stopping to shoot every once in a while isn't a big issue. I've been desperately trying to avoid the Wexford range. As exhilarating as it is to have a gun pointed at your face every 15 min, it just isn't worth it for me.

(Beaver County)

I used to drive all that way for the SGL after I graduated school, but it also helped my favorite gun shop was out there. Now I just go to Wexford during the week days and it's just fine. Once I am employed again and have normal and reliable schedule I plan to join a the BVRPC.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    I used to drive all that way for the SGL after I graduated school, but it also helped my favorite gun shop was out there. Now I just go to Wexford during the week days and it's just fine. Once I am employed again and have normal and reliable schedule I plan to join a the BVRPC.
    No kidding. I've been past that Indiana County SGL range many times but only shot there a few. It seemed well maintained.

Just a guess, SMD? I bought a lot of stuff from Tim back in the early 90's.
    I haven't been up there in years. I hope he's doing well.

(Beaver County)

No kidding. I've been past that Indiana County SGL range many times but only shot there a few. It seemed well maintained.

Just a guess, SMD? I bought a lot of stuff from Tim back in the early 90's.
    I haven't been up there in years. I hope he's doing well.
    Damn straight SMD! No other shop in the area has given me the reason to drive that far on the regular.

He's doing well. He's still keeping his prices lower than 99% of everywhere else, even when there is a panic. Next time you have the free time, make the trip. You know it'll be well worth it. When I have the energy and memory, I post in the Shops section on here to update people about what he has in his inventory.

(Beaver County)

Is Mars Rod and Gun going to open up their membership for 2016? Does anyone have their current rulebook? I would prefer a club that allows drawing from a holster. I am currently a member at BVRPC, but would like to find a closer club that is tactical/practical shooting friendly.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Is Mars Rod and Gun going to open up their membership for 2016? Does anyone have their current rulebook? I would prefer a club that allows drawing from a holster. I am currently a member at BVRPC, but would like to find a closer club that is tactical/practical shooting friendly.
    If you are anywhere past Lovi and Freedom (the "tri-county" intersection), it will take you less time to get to BVRPC than Mars in any kind of Cranberry induced traffic.

I am in the midst of a very similar search (also a BVRPC member). I think Evans City might be the ticket.

(Beaver County)

I live in Mars now, and I added 20 minutes to my BVRPC drive, so now it takes about 45 minutes of driving to BVRPC. I was close to Lovi and Freedom before moving to Mars. BVRPC is a fantastic facility though, it is really hard to beat that club.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Membership for 2016 opens in January. You will need to attend a new membership orientation. I don't believe there is a rule about drawing from the the holster but you are required to have aimed fire not just slinging lead.

We have been having some steel pistol shoots and just had a zombie shoot this past weekend.

The last I heard Evans city wasn't taking on new members but I could be wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast