Looking for some advice on hunting the State lands of WMU 5A. I've hunted private land for 20 years and got a phone call this morning, the first day of fall turkey season (we get 3 days in 5A), that I've lost my hunting grounds for this year and likely the future. Not through any fault of my own, the guy's nephew has expressed interest in hunting so he decided to give him all the rights to hunting his land. These things happen, but the timing couldn't be worse.

I intended on hitting his land tomorrow for some fall gobbler hunting...but now I have a scheduled vacation day and no scouted land. I know there are turkey all along Route 233 between Caledonia and Pine Grove (I've almost run a few over)...but hunting State lands is completely new to me and I hate the idea of wandering through unfamiliar ground and ruining other peoples' hunts because I know there are a lot of guys are in the woods on SGL for the variety of things currently in season. Not to mention I have no idea where they're roosting, feeding, etc. I'm thinking my fall gobbler season might be a bust. Suggestions? Advice?