Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: November Practical Rifle Match

Thank you Gary and Tim (and all RSO's) for setting up this new type of match! I had a great time. That being said, I'm in high favor of at least doubling the value of eliminated targets like you did in the red spreadsheet as we try matches like this again.

For some numbers I found interesting, out of 19 participants:

-only ONE person neutralized EVERY target during the course of the event
    -only ONE other person neutralized ALL BUT 1 target.
    -only another THREE people neutralized ALL BUT 2 targets

(and the numbers might be skewed a little if the above people shot the “no-hit” targets, but I’m being general here...and out of those high scoring people above I'm sure they most likely didn't hit any innocents)

So beyond those 5 people above, 14 out of 19 people, 74% of the class would have 'died' more often than they lived in these scenarios. (i.e. they failed to neutralize a hostile target in 3 -or more stages- out of 5).

My math can't be absolutely exact with how we scored (and hopefully I crunched the numbers correctly but I hope the value in giving far more points for eliminated targets can be seen in those numbers.

...It's definitely a careful balance of how many points unspent rounds are worth, but with the original scoring system I think we can definitely say it caused people to conserve WAY too many rounds...rounds that should have gone on target to neutralize the threats they missed.
    Last edited by Dochartaigh; November 30th, 2013 at 09:41 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: November Practical Rifle Match

Good points. These were many of the things we discussed at lunch. This was the first time we ran a match like this and clearly there is room for improvement on how we score the event.

The short range lends itself very nicely to this type of match and based on the feedback from our participants, I think we'll continue to offer this style of match in November when we use the short range.

In other matters, is anyone missing a bag of tools and a 30rd magazine? Both were found after the match. Please email me if either belong to you.

Thanks,
    Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12