Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philly CCW- Is it worth it?

The aggravation.

I first got my (Philly) CCW ten years ago- my last renewal was 5 years ago and it took 8 months! Now my renewal is due again- the third time paying $18.00, the third time getting fingerprinted, the third time sitting for hours in that stinking little office.

And now besides asking the city for permission, I need permission from 2 other people- and they have to be city residents. So if you are maybe new to the city, you might be screwed. If maybe your friends or neighbors (besides having to let them know you carry, which maybe you don't want to) are afraid to fill out the reference form because they fear being liable if you go postal- you are screwed. Forgive me for sounding negative, but is this really a RKBA?

So maybe I should just risk carrying w/o going through this nonsense again. What's next- whose permission will I need next time?

Has anybody, or any group ever even challenged this '2 references' hurdle?

Am I the only one p/o'd over this?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philly CCW- Is it worth it?

Im right there with ya, if you have to ask permission, its not a right. Its a priviledge.

However, as that may be, I would not risk carrying without a permit. Especially in the city.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Erie County)

You could always get a permit with a state that PA has receprocity with? It will cost you more, but it may be less work.

(Chester County)

I want you to know anything philly does to you NY did worse and deeper to me. If you give in they win. i am sorry to see philly be this way in such a great state. They have created their mess now they want you to be the scape goat. I had the refrence thing too in NY. My concerns were like yours. I am sure you can find 2 refrences. Go to the local range or gun store. Do it and hold your head high. When you are going through this crap just think how strong the state and federal constitution is. If it was weak you wouldnt even be in their office. You are an American. You already won! They lost and are sore loosers so they do this. They want you to stay away. Go for it!

(Allegheny County)

Hell yes! You need the gun to face the threat of crime that the city government has fostered and refuses to confront, and without the permit you face a threat from the city itself. It has to be worth the effort.

Besides, most of the hard work has been done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolutionary_War
    http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/

Of course its worth it. Most LTCF applications require references. Even my Berks did. If you carry illegally, youre committing the same crime as every other gangbanger out there, whether you consider it your right or not.

I find it odd you mention the "third time getting fingerprinted" as I have to be fingerprinted for just about every permit in the industry I am in, further more my finger prints are in the Fed database because I am not from the US originally... They say your fingerprints dont change, so why is every one and every agency so fast about asking for fresh prints every time they believe they can possibly ask for it?

I did not realize they needed fingerprinting for a LTCF but seems that many places now ask for prints, be it for employment or other needs, there was a time the only time any one ever thought of getting printed was because they where a criminal.

WHat i had heard was it was very expensive, but today with all the technology, the cost came down... Mind you because the same technology they say the new prints are needed in case of a "smudge"...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bedford County)

Five years ago the paperwork for my permit had no mention of references - now it does. Just done my renewal and had to fill in two names - not a problem but it's a new deal compared with before.

As for Philly - stay legal - that's a must. Even if hoops and hurdles - do them! I am pretty quiet round here but heck - I sure would make sure I was legally armed in Philly - Pitt too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

CombatCarry.com CCW forum

(Philadelphia County)

Well, yeah of course you are all correct- it must be done. But it will never be right. If I had lots of money I'd fight it. How is it that someone who doesn't like "In God We Trust' on coins can take their fight all the way to the supreme court, but the clowns running this city can get away with a clear infringement of a consititutional right?

Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do- so I'll go over next week and get things rolling.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by .357mag3 View Post
    How is it that someone who doesn't like "In God We Trust' on coins can take their fight all the way to the supreme court, but the clowns running this city can get away with a clear infringement of a consititutional right?
    They just always seem to have a lot more money to do things like this.

Once the PAFOA is fully established and operational you can guarantee that we will do our best to challenge these things where we can.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast