Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Philly CCW- Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by .357mag3 View Post
    Well, yeah of course you are all correct- it must be done. But it will never be right. If I had lots of money I'd fight it. How is it that someone who doesn't like "In God We Trust' on coins can take their fight all the way to the supreme court, but the clowns running this city can get away with a clear infringement of a consititutional right?

Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do- so I'll go over next week and get things rolling.
    Come on over to Jersey if things are bad there.
    Last edited by Leade45; January 14th, 2007 at 10:02 PM.

(Berks County)

The Officer that handles the permits is a good guy, I have worked with his son for the last 7 years. He just has to deal with the guidlines that he was provided.
    1/111th IN
    MAJ Doug Sloan; SGT Brahim Jeffcoat; SGT Francis Straub; CPL Genaro Pelligrini; SPC Kurt Krout; SPC John Kulick; PFC Nathaniel DeTample. You never let your country or your brothers down, we will never forget you.

(Indiana County)

A Philadelphia application/renewal for a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) requires the following (according to their form):

a. One (1) 1 ½ ” x 1 ½ ” (inch) Passport Type color photo of the applicant’s head and shoulders, (NO SUNGLASSES, HATS, VEILS, BANDANNAS, ETC.).

b. A $19.00 money order (no other amount will be accepted) payable to “City of
    Philadelphia”. (NO CASH OR CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED.)

c. A valid Pennsylvania Drivers License or Non-Drivers ID, along with two (2) acceptable forms of proof of residence, all address must match. NO PO BOXES WILL BE ACCEPTED, (see back of this sheet for examples).

d. ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE FINGERPRINTED.

e. If you were previously a member of the Armed Forces, a copy of your discharge papers (DD-214) must accompany the application.

f. Foreign born applicants who are presently American citizens must bring their
    naturalization papers.

g. Registered aliens must have their current alien registration identification card, i.e., GREEN CARD and last 3 previous monthly utility bills, i.e., gas bill, PECO bill, water bill, etc. for proof of residency.

h. Visas are not permissible, i.e., student visa, work visa.

The Philadelphia application/renewal also requires two reference questionnaires be filled out

18 PaCS § 6109(c) clearly states, "The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth..."

Nothing in 18 PaCS § 6109 (Licenses) requires fingerprinting.

Nothing in 18 PaCS § 6109 (Licenses) requires reference questionnaires.

Nothing in 18 PaCS § 6109 (Licenses) requires military discharge papers.

According to 18 PaCS § 6109 (Licenses), all you have to do when renewing your license is fill out just the SP-4 form, furnish the necessary photograph, funds and copy of your current LTCF, and that's it.

If you have the time, press the issue in the Court of Common Pleas. If you do not fight it, Philadelphia will continue violating the law.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    18 PaCS § 6109(c) clearly states, "The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth..."
    Not being an a$$ here, but is there any uniformity between the counties yet? I think the application is standard, but not all are using the same card yet are they? I know I went from a half sheet of paper with no photo to a card like the new DL.

(Schuylkill County)

It would suck if the entire state went to philly style LCTF.

I am not due to renew for another 2 years... hopefully i'll get a DL style card not some flimsy piece of paper.

(Philadelphia County)

Cool Re: Philly CCW- Is it worth it?

Being able to defend yourself legally is always worth it. I just received my LTCF last month and I am definitely getting my money worth. Its great to feel that I can walk around the streets of this great city with something that I can use to protect the ones I love. I weight almost 200 lbs and I am in good physical condition. But none of that matters when the bad guys have a weapons. Now I can be on the same battalfield and be able to fight back only as a last resort. It is a hassale waiting for the permit and getting all of that B.S. but being licensed to carry is sometime that I am proud I went through even despite the political loops. I say carry legally or do not carry at all. Do not allow the government to take away your right to protect yourself through the use of scare tactics and hurrdles!

(Philadelphia County)

Come on over to Jersey if things are bad there.
    I grew up in NJ, left 20 years ago for Philly. I get the heebie jeebies every time I go back there to visit.

(Philadelphia County)

Nothing in 18 PaCS § 6109 (Licenses) requires fingerprinting.

Nothing in 18 PaCS § 6109 (Licenses) requires reference questionnaires.

Nothing in 18 PaCS § 6109 (Licenses) requires military discharge papers.

According to 18 PaCS § 6109 (Licenses), all you have to do when renewing your license is fill out just the SP-4 form, furnish the necessary photograph, funds and copy of your current LTCF, and that's it.
    If I remember correctly from posts I've read on other boards, all of the counties in PA now require all of this stuff, but I'm not sure. And I know for sure that it took 8 months the last time I renewed, so the 45 days allowed by state law seems to be a mere suggestion. So how do they get away with this- nobody anywhere in PA has ever just refused to go along?

I guess this says it all, from the Police Commisioner:

"A permit to carry a concealed firearm is a privilege- not a right."

http://www.ppdonline.org/pdf/hq/sp4-127-uponreceipt.pdf
    Last edited by .357mag3; January 15th, 2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: add a quote

(Blair County)

For Blair county no fingerprints, no DD214, no reference questionnaires, and they took my photo there. I was issued a new license even though I had an expired paper license. I think it was expired for 4 years, and since they have a new format she told me to file as new. Less than 15 minutes including the time to fill out the form and I believe $27 and I walked out with my shiny new permit. I just got my DL renewed and it took longer than getting my LTCF.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterKrunch View Post
    For Blair county no fingerprints, no DD214, no reference questionnaires, and they took my photo there. I was issued a new license even though I had an expired paper license. I think it was expired for 4 years, and since they have a new format she told me to file as new. Less than 15 minutes including the time to fill out the form and I believe $27 and I walked out with my shiny new permit. I just got my DL renewed and it took longer than getting my LTCF.
    Roger that! Wow, I did not realize it was that much of a pain in the ass to get a ccl in Philly. In Centre county all I had to do was go to the sheriffs office, fill out a sheet for a background check, show my DL, cut a check for $25 and I was out the door in about 10 minutes. No photo either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast