Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Zastava M92 Kalishnapistol

Okay, so I picked up one of these Serbian AK pistols. I'm not really sure what I want to do with it yet. With the current waiting time for a tax stamp, SBR is off the table. I may just add a flash suppressor, a sling, and a railed handguard and AFG to it, but...

I was reading about how extending the barrel to 16", I could legally turn this into a rifle. Would making this a rifle make it fall into a category that requires all that 922 compliant crap like so many US parts? or is it exempt from that? I'm leaning towards keeping it a pistol, but am curious as to the legality of making it a long arm.

Oh, and if anyone has any experience with these, I am looking for a very good flash suppressor. I don't care as much about a muzzle brake, I want to cut down on the fireball.
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; November 4th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Zastava M92 Kalishnapistol

Best flash suppressor is a Bulgarian style, available US made or imported from AKBuilder. They also have fake suppressors that can be permanently pinned and welded, making it a rifle and allowing you to attach a stock like the ACE side folder. I have not heard of anyone questioning 922r compliance so I cannot give a definitive answer on that matter.

(Lycoming County)

the M92 has an angled rear trunnion , in order to attach an Ace type folding stock you must have a tapered shim to bring the mounting angle correct , or replace the rear trunnion so the stock doesn't hang down . Also if you are going to order a muzzle attachment make sure you are getting one with 26mm thread , it's not 24mm like the
    74's have on them , if you leave it as a pistol , and don't want a long muzzle attachment hanging off the front of the barrel , Ratworx carries a very effcient flash hider made by Manacore Arms . This was imported as a pistol which doesn't fall under all the 922r specs .

When you SBR that pistol, it becomes a rifle and therefore falls under 922r.

Start the process and SBR that bad boy. You'll have a nice piece by next fall.
    I'll thoroughly be jealous.

Also note: a VZ58 folding stock should fit on that angled rear trunnion.
    Last edited by Dogpupkus; November 5th, 2013 at 02:15 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogpupkus View Post
    When you SBR that pistol, it becomes a rifle and therefore falls under 922r.

Start the process and SBR that bad boy. You'll have a nice piece by next fall.
    I'll thoroughly be jealous.
    I believe that you are incorrect on it falling under 922r, no matter what configuration it is in. I believe if it doesn't apply when it is imported then it never will.

I am not going to SBR it anyhow. It will either remain a pistol or I will lengthen the barrel to make it a standard length rifle.

No thoughts on flash suppressors anyone?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    I believe that you are incorrect on it falling under 922r, no matter what configuration it is in. I believe if it doesn't apply when it is imported then it never will.

I am not going to SBR it anyhow. It will either remain a pistol or I will lengthen the barrel to make it a standard length rifle.

No thoughts on flash suppressors anyone?
    But i think you're getting caught up in the weeds....922r is held to the manufacturer or importer aka the person building the rifle or importing...not the person buying the gun in a certain config and changing it...

you personally build a demilled parts kit it needs to be 922r, or whoever puts the kit together...what you do with it after is not regulated (disputed, but if you read the language its there)

pistols also do not have to adhere to 922r... (hence they are left in their original config from the importer)

for example you buy a used rifle that is not 922r compliant its not bad on you, its bad on the person who orignally "manufactured" the rifle
    Last edited by Svickstc; November 5th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.

(York County)

I will have to dig into that one further... I am leaning towards keeping it a pistol anyhow, but I am curious about this as I see many guys have just lengthened the barrel and added a stock, leaving all the other stuff original. If you are correct then they all have illegal rifles.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    I will have to dig into that one further... I am leaning towards keeping it a pistol anyhow, but I am curious about this as I see many guys have just lengthened the barrel and added a stock, leaving all the other stuff original. If you are correct then they all have illegal rifles.
    Get on AKfiles.com you will find all the information you ever need to know, and will find information to back my claim although there are many non believers of what i said

you will find many ATF "letters" circulated on how they "interpert the law" and it has changed over time

essentially 922r applies to assmebly not possesion if that make senes
    Last edited by Svickstc; November 5th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    essentially 922r applies to assmebly not possesion if that make senes
    This is correct.

It's always been a gray area, and the ATF seems to enjoy contradicting itself.
    I always say better safe than sorry, and add compliance parts. Then again, who is enforcing any of that anyhow.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogpupkus View Post
    This is correct.

It's always been a gray area, and the ATF seems to enjoy contradicting itself.
    I always say better safe than sorry, and add compliance parts. Then again, who is enforcing any of that anyhow.
    its been "gray" because the ATF can choose to intepert a law how they want and their "letters" circulating on this are just that an inteperatation...

so like i said its not on you to adhere to 922r unless you're building/assemblying the rifle, unless you're the builder/importer etc. possesion is not the violation of federal law its the assembly, however, you could be required to forfiet your weapons if it was enforced...

As for your SBR question and 922r it was changed that SBR's need to adhere to 922r compliance but please see my above about who that applies to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast