Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default How far in is too far for Deer

So I'm finally planning to go deer hunting this season after a long break. Most of the summer I have been hiking around State Game Land in Berks and Lehigh where the Appalachian Trail and other hiking trails cut thru. I have a few choice locations which are not close to road access and I hope are off the beaten path of most other hunters.

The problem is I think I may be overdoing it. These areas were picked out in the summer where I only had a daypack. I was not carrying a rifle and dragging a buck. One location is 3.5 miles in, but the last mile will be mostly downhill on the way back out. The other spot is 2 miles, but in would involve going thru some bad boulder fields. I really like the first location though. I might also get a plastic sheet sled if it helps any.

This is my first time hunting on State Game Lands. I use to hunt on private property and usually I wouldn't need to walk more that a mile from the Cabin or my truck.

I hike a lot and I'm in decent shape, but I'm in my 40's so I'm no spring chicken. I'm I biting off more that I can chew, or am I worrying too much. Also are there any tips and tricks from those who hunt a good distance away from their vehicle?

Default Re: How far in is too far for Deer

For me 3.5 miles is too far to drag a buck and I am in good shape. I hunt within 300 yards of where I park and I still don't drag. I either move my vehicle closer via an adjacent dirt road or call my brother-in-law to get access to the farm tractor.

Have you considered any of the two wheeled carts they sell at sporting goods stores?

(Bucks County)

A plastic sled would be bare minimum IMO, but possibly a better choice than a wheeled cart depending on terrain. Keep in mind the timing too- if you bag one near closing time it will take even longer in the dark.

(Chester County)

Too far for a drag. You WILL regret it. Hunt with a few others or bring some help to pack it out after you quarter it. State game lands tend to get crowded no matter how far from a road you get and watch out for wardens beating through the brush with no blaze on.

(Allegheny County)

The longest drag I've ever made was a mile and a half as per the scale on a topo map I checked.

I worked construction and felt I was in excellent shape. I do go in almost entirely uphill or gradual up till I hit the hill I hunt on. Drag was either flat or downhill. The buck was a Tionesta buck at 150 lbs which was fairly large for the area we hunted.
    I've either helped my hunting partner or he helped me many times.
    When I have seen an older guy dragging ( happened twice), I gave them my rifle and drug the deer out of that area.

Never used a sled but seems like a good idea. Snow is a bonus.
    Last year, at 63, I drug 3 deer out. Two were about 400 to 500 yds and one I drug downhill, across a creek and up an embankment for about 300+.

Shoot em close and hope they run to your truck.

Hunt with a partner. Good not only for help but for safety if something goes bad.

Good luck
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

You could try one of these. I haven't used one, but I am getting one very soon. Gotten good reviews.

www.therackpacker.com
    In the Land of the Blind,the One Eyed Man is King

(Adams County)

can we say heart attack. I drug one a little over a mi. when I was 15. I had just worked the summer on he farms walking the fields loading hay and straw. then cutting fire wood before deer season. it was a job to get that deer out.

(Luzerne County)

First you got to get the buck to worry about dragging it that far ....over a mile is a huffer and puffer to drag one ....unless it's flat and snow on the ground.
    That's a haul ....but if like the spot ....go for it!

(Bucks County)

Try this: Shoot one leg out from under it, then rope it and lead it out walking on the other three legs, kill it when you reach the tru..... Wait, that won't work. I've seen my Grandpa, decades ago, cut off all the parts he wasn't going to eat or use and pack it out on his back a couple miles. He didn't waste meat, but there is an awful lot of useless stuff standing there on those four hooves.

(Somerset County)

Double check your maps. Many places in Pa. if you are 3.5 miles in, you are only .5 miles from going out the other side. Most (but certainly not all) of our woods have access roads etc.

That said, if you do go that far, I would seriously consider boning it out on the spot and leaving everything but the meat and antlers in the woods.

Dale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast