Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Hunting in 5C

(Monroe County)

Default Hunting in 5C

I am new to hunting in PA and I am bow hunting with a crossbow. I live up in the Poconos and I got my license and tags late so I ended up with 5C doe tags. I checked out the Jacobsburg game land off 33. I saw a Y buck which was within range but couldnt see a clear brow tine. and I jumped 2 doe last friday as I was walking out. I was talking to other hunters and it sounds like everyone is seeing the same 3 deer.

I was thinking of taking time off work driving down to the Nockamixon area which has some game lands around it. Is this worth driving to, to hunt?

I really wish I could find some private land but I guess Game Land hunting more north will be better next season when I can get a better zone, just hope I can salvage something. I hear 5C is hard if your on SGL

I see more deer action in my back yard. Saw a small 6 or 7 point chasing the does around and grunting at them.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Hunting in 5C

When I lived in 5C, I hunted 2E for bucks and the concurrent doe season. I waited until after Christmas to hunt does in 5C. You could hunt at 'home' for a buck since your general license is good anywhere in the state for bucks.

Dale

(Monroe County)

I thought about hunting some SGL near my house in the Poconos but my luck I would only see does.

5C hunting seems tough with not much SGL to hunt. I know there are little patches down in Bucks county. I might scope them out but it is a hike. Well at least I will know for definite if its good or not.

I assume you don't want to come to far south, but if you wanted to, there is Evansburg and French Creek State Park as well as a few smaller game lands. There are deer EVERYWHERE down here, but as with most locations, it is a matter of timing as to whether they come through your area that day. Not to mention, the droves of other hunters in these parks and small game lands. I have had no luck on any of the public lands, but then again, I have only gotten one deer on the private lands that I hunt. Of course, I am able to set up trail cams without fear of them being stolen or destroyed on the private lands, so at least I know there are deer out there, it's just a matter of them coming out.

It is difficult to hunt 5C because of the multitude of hunters, but many of us do it every year. It took me 5 years before I got my first (this year.) Good luck to you and remember that patience is a virtue.