Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Any one deer hunt potter county?

Got a buddy of mine at work who hunts up there extended an invitation to me. Was wondering if it was worth the trip? Any insight?
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Any one deer hunt potter county?

I would say yes. Have owned a hunting camp in Potter for nearly 30 years and would not think of hunting anywhere else. Despite what some say, there are deer in the Big Woods. Not as many as formerly (since the 1990's) but deer sign are everywhere around our cabin. They are more nocturnal than in former times so you just have to hunt them. I have not killed a buck for about ten years but for me that is not what deer camp is about. It is about being with good people who love to do what you love to do, which is to hunt deer.
    An armed society is a polite society

(Dauphin County)

Not sure if I would ever turn down a hunting invitation, unless I didn't like the person inviting me...but heck yea go see some of wild and wonderful Potter Co.

(Chester County)

I packed in the winter there years back and there wasn't a lot of activity so stalking is probably your best bet. Nice country and be prepared for snow at anytime if the temps are down. I've laid down at night and woke up covered in 10 inches of snow.

(Chester County)

I prefer still hunting over stand hunting any way. I'm good up until about 8-9am if nothing is moving i'll get up and walk. I usually have cold feet by then no matter how hard i try not too, and once the chill starts coming up my leg i know its time to start moving.

Its a freaking hike for me to get there but i'm thinking if my boss will let me have off i'll take the thursday and friday off of the first week and go. i googled "potter county" and a 1/4 of the images that came up were dead 8 points lol. i doubt i'll get a buck in 5C any way.

If you have never hunted in the big woods it is an experience. Nothing like being out in this day and age with no machinery noise but for the occasional passing jet. Just remember to take a compass and gps.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by palabman View Post
    If you have never hunted in the big woods it is an experience. Nothing like being out in this day and age with no machinery noise but for the occasional passing jet. Just remember to take a compass and gps.
    Oh for sure. I've hunted big woods up in ny. Topo map and compas are standard kit. As well as enough foot water to spend a night if need be.

(Delaware County)

I hunted up there for 10+ years but the last 5 years I find out that local land is better for big bucks . Last time I was there lots of does but no bucks . My uncle and bother in law still hunt there and haven't had a buck in about 7 years . Bottom line is it not like it use to be .

Quote Originally Posted by palabman View Post

Depending on where he is, I have heard there have been a lot of changes up that way with the fracking. So those days of nothing but you and the sounds of old man winter blowing in the trees may very well be something of the past.

I just read an article about it last week in Pa outdoor news tabloid.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by allananthony84 View Post
    I hunted up there for 10+ years but the last 5 years I find out that local land is better for big bucks . Last time I was there lots of does but no bucks . My uncle and bother in law still hunt there and haven't had a buck in about 7 years . Bottom line is it not like it use to be .
    I keep hearing mixed things. One person will say they haven't seen a buck in years next guy will say he ran into one dude dragging out a 9 point while he was dragging out his 10 pointer. It's like from one extreme to the other. Seems like the western side is where there isn't any thing eastern side has big deer. I find it odd how one county can be so different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast