Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Long range hand gunning

I only shoot my scoped Super Redhawk at distance, 100 yards. With my open sighted handguns, I keep the range to 50 yards due to aging eyes.

On a good day, I can get a 2" group at 100 yards from my SRH, but it usually shoots around 3-4" which is plenty good for my hunting purposes.

When I have shot my non-scoped Super Blackhawk at 100 yards, I would use the lolipop sight picture. Putting the large, circular black target on top of the front sight, which would look like a lolipop.

Some people with good eye sight may be able to cut the target in half with the front sight. There are several methods, you just have to find out which one works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post

Some people with good eye sight may be able to cut the target in half with the front sight. There are several methods, you just have to find out which one works for you.
    This is what I do. My pistol irons are shaved and filled in to closely resemble a GI 1911 sight, but with very little light coming through the front sight blade into the rear sight and an even thinner fron blade. It is basically fool proof, but is shit for faster shooting. Top of the blade in the middle of the bullseye and fire.

Two of my 1911's that are fully accurized (at least to my cheap standards) are sighted in at 50, shoot 2" high at 25 and 15, and have about a 5.5" drop at 100. The drop from my USP 6" is only 4.5"...all with ASYM. I'm looking forward to trying out the WC target ammo, but it is never in stock.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Philadelphia County)

I got out to SGL #43 today and shot the 4"python and 5" ruger at 100 yards. I got 2 hits with .357 and about 8 with .22lr. I was surprised the ruger's sight picture didn't change much and dasani water bottles weren't safe but it was much easier with the .22 since it takes so long for the round to reach the target walking it was simple. The .357 on the other hand was a lot tougher without a spotter and by the time I reset after recoil the dust cloud was gone so a spotter would've really helped.

My first groups (more like patterns) with the .357 were about 8"-12" low so I raised the front sight from the rear about halfway and achieved my first hit but replicating it proved tough with the recoil tiring my hand and shaking my brain up. I shot about 30 .357 and I'll be on the lookout for good .38 spl and bring a spotter next time. Here are my plAtes, there were other targets but these were the closest.

Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Lehigh County)

The only "long range" shots I've ever taken with a pistol was with my Ruger SP101 snub nosed .357. I was using factory loaded federal 115 gr HP .357's and my target plate was 6"x8" out at 63 yards. I managed to hit it 2 out of 5 times. When I put the plate out at 30 yards, I hit it 15 out of 15 times. 5 times single action, two handed, 5 times double action, two handed, and 5 time single action, single handed. I was gonna try 5 more double action, single handed, but I didn't want to ruin the perfect record, lol. Most times when I have the snubbie, I stick to a distance of 15 yards or so, since that is my primary carry, and so I want to train with it as I would be using it. Always good to know I can whack something out a little further if I absolutely need to though.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

oooh...I GOTTA have one of those!
    Feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...ayathomed.html

...infinite distraction...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12