Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
The sheriff has absolutely no legal authority to impose such a restriction.

The references requirement isn't found explicitly in the statutes, rather it flows from the authority the legislature granted to the PSP to create the application and specify compliance provisions. The sheriff has no authority to add further provisions. 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 states in relevant part

Once an application has been submitted the sheriff is required to approve or deny (for good cause) the application. Failure to limit references to persons living within a particular county doesn't satisfy any of the statutory reasons for denial.

Don't let the sheriff try to tell you he won't "accept" the application either. There's no "acceptance" step in the statutory application process. You apply (hand over the completed application and $20 fee) and then the sheriff must by law approve or deny for good cause. If you're denied he has to send you a certified letter stating the specific reason.
I will be submitting my form sometime next week (June 2-6), as is. There will be no resistance or arguments, just handing the form and a $20 bill to the clerk and seeing what happens. One would think that two references from friends of 20 years would be more acceptable than a couple of references from strangers I don't know who agree to let me put their names on the form.

All I will say is exactly that - that my application is given with more integrity than most. And I do hold a FL permit that is still current. Will taht count for anything? Dunno.

I'll be posting the results.