Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default What gun buying guidelines can you add?

I have learned a lot about shooting and buying guns over the years. Mostly my mistakes have taught me some basic "rules" that I try to follow in acquiring and keeping my collection.

Here are 3 of my rules or guidelines.

#1. Always buy the best you can afford. Don't be satisfied with something less only through impatience or a lack of willingness to wait and save the money. Generally, you get what you pay for. For example, if you want a Colt, save up for it and don't buy a clone. In the end, you will end up getting what you want anyway.

#2. Guns can be beautiful but they are not, strictly speaking, art. If I am going to buy a gun it will be used for something. I don't buy a gun because it is availble or cheap or anything else unless I also think I will find some use for it. Exceptions might be gifts and/or family heirlooms. If you are buyng guns as a collector then I suppose this rule would not apply.

#3. I try not to duplicate. If I have a great deer rifle I don't need two. However, I may have a larger big game or smaller caliber "varmint" rifle that could double as a deer rifle. This would allow you latitude to shoot with something different or possibly "lend" a gun to a friend for a hunt. But I wouldn't purchase a .260 and a 7mm.08 in the same type of bolt action rifle. A matching or sequential pair of firearms might be an exception.

So, what gun buying rules can you add - even if they disagree with mine?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What gun buying guidelines can you add?

- Match the gun to the application is one of the biggest things.

- Buy the best that you can reasonably afford, waiting 6 months to buy the next "model" up may end up costing you big as gun prices tend to change rapidly

- Look at the caliber before buying the gun. How many guns are out there now that are chambered in "dead" cartridges?

(Centre County)

If buying a used gun, don't take a sellers word on it's condition (even a gun shop). There are unscrupulous people out there just trying to make a fast buck. Check it out thoroughly or if you don't feel competent, have a gunsmith check it for you - before buying (unless the seller gives you an inspection period to decide).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

I like your list of three. Easy to forget rule #1 sometimes. There is a reason that a $1000 costs $1000 and a $500 costs $500.

I would add the following.

Never buy a new gun until you have accumulated at least 1,000 rounds of ammo for each one you already own. For pistols that you intend to carry, double that number. For hunting rifles, a couple of hundred rounds should suffice.

Ammo is expensive. Guns are cheap.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

Buy what fits you. If you get a handgun with oversize grips and have small hands, it will not be fun to shoot. Fit in a shotgun is very inportant. If the stock is to short or to long you will not enjoy it.

(Chester County)

#3. I did buy a duplicate. I have been using a pistol as my main carry gun for a few years, and really like it, so I got a duplicate, when I found a lightly used one for a good price. Several reasons, including: Use the Duplicate for practice, then carry the original. Less wear on they main carry gun, and don't have to clean my carry gun as much (never carry a dirty gun), also don't have to unload and re-chamber the expensive defensive ammo (which is not recommended anyway- I usually shoot the ammo from the carry gun about every 6 months, then refresh it). If anything ever happens to the main carry gun, I have a duplicate to replace it immediately.

Good post Hokkmike.

Baldy
    Last edited by Baldy; May 14th, 2008 at 08:46 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    #3. I did buy a duplicate. I have been using a pistol as my main carry gun for a few years, and really like it, so I got a duplicate, when I found a lightly used one for a good price. Several reasons, including: Use the Duplicate for practice, then carry the original. Less wear on they main carry gun, and don't have to clean my carry gun as much (never carry a dirty gun), also don't have to unload and re-chamber the expensive defensive ammo (which is not recommended anyway- I usually shoot the ammo from the carry gun about every 6 months, then refresh it). If anything ever happens to the main carry gun, I have a duplicate to replace it immediately.

Good post Hokkmike.

Baldy
    That makes alot of sense AND it is a reason to buy another gun.

BRILLIANT!
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Monroe County)

#4, go to a gun range with a large selection of guns. Plan out what you want to try that day, for instance, 9mm's, try out 9mm's in a bunch of different models, and only try 9mm's, so you dont "taint your pallet". Meaning just spend the day testing out 9mm, dont mess up the rhythm by shooting a .45.
    Then the next time, try .40 caliber, or .45. Then spend a day trying revolvers in different calibers. This is the best way you can figure out which hand gun you like in what caliber. Its the next step up from going to a gun shop and holding each gun.

(Luzerne County)

Research

I spend countless hours reading about my next purchase. Examine the pros/cons of each model in the running (ie: tactical shotgun, subcompact 9/40, etc). Look for people posting that have had problems with that particular model, misfire rates...how easy it is to work with said company in the event of a warranty situation.

I browse every gun forum I can find, google, youtube, etc. For me, it comes down to two models at most...and sometimes it comes down to actually "feeling" the two at the shop in the end.

Of course, firing at the range is also optimal, but not available in many circumstances.