Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Hey Everyone. Question about flying with firearms ...

Not sure if this is the best forum, but thought I would start here ....

I'm flying to my hunting camp next week. I shipped my gear and ammo via UPS.

I'm traveling with my deer rifle, and plan to fly with my sidearm as well.

Is there any reason I need my rifle and sidearm packed in seperate checked, hard-side and locked cases? I'm trying to find info on the TSA site, but most presumes I'll only be bringing 1 firearm per case. I'd love to pack both the rifle and the sidearm in a single, locked, hard-sided case. Any thoughts on whether this is an issue?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Hey Everyone. Question about flying with firearms ...

You can put them both in a single locked case. You can also put either or both of them in a locked case that you put inside your regular luggage, if they would fit.

They usually want to see them at the airline counter and the TSA sometimes want to see them as well. So don't bury the locked cases deep inside your luggage.

Where are you flying out of? Don't fly out of or into any NY or NJ airport. Especially NJ. I would recommend not having connections or destinations in states that have severe restrictions on firearm/pistol possession such as Illinois, Mass, MD.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by adoddere View Post
    Not sure if this is the best forum, but thought I would start here ....

I'm flying to my hunting camp next week. I shipped my gear and ammo via UPS.

I'm traveling with my deer rifle, and plan to fly with my sidearm as well.

Is there any reason I need my rifle and sidearm packed in seperate checked, hard-side and locked cases? I'm trying to find info on the TSA site, but most presumes I'll only be bringing 1 firearm per case. I'd love to pack both the rifle and the sidearm in a single, locked, hard-sided case. Any thoughts on whether this is an issue?
    Check with the web site of the airline you are flying as the TSA rules can be less restrictive than an airline rules in regards to how firearms and or ammunition can be packed and transported.

(Chester County)

I flew delta a month ago and had 2 pistols in 1 case. They did not want to see or check that they were unloaded. I signed a form, TSA scanned the whole bag and I was good to go. My pelican case was tucked in my suitcase.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Montgomery County)

Thanks friends. I've been researching more, and it looks like USAIR will allow me to pack both firearms in the same checked, locked case, so long as the combined weight is less than 50 lbs. I appreciate the responses.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    I flew delta a month ago and had 2 pistols in 1 case. They did not want to see or check that they were unloaded. I signed a form, TSA scanned the whole bag and I was good to go. My pelican case was tucked in my suitcase.
    I've flown every domestic airline out of probably 12 states in the past few years. Although they wanted to see the gun every single time, nobody ever checked if it was loaded or not. US Air I can understand since they put the slip inside the case. The others, no idea why they want to see it.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I've flown every domestic airline out of probably 12 states in the past few years. Although they wanted to see the gun every single time, nobody ever checked if it was loaded or not. US Air I can understand since they put the slip inside the case. The others, no idea why they want to see it.
    They just want to ogle.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    This is the same as my experience. I have flown US Air, Delta, Southwest (and also Air Tran since SW bought them) and American with two small locked cases (one for handgun and one for ammo) inside a larger duffle. I have only had to open locked case with the handgun at check in and no airline employees have ever check the firearm, just placed the signed slip inside case except for one airline employee that just put it inside the duffle.

No airline employee has ever checked the ammunition. Only two airline employees have asked me if the ammunition was packed separately.

I usually fly out of Philadelphia but several flights ago I went out of Newark, NJ. No issues at all in Newark. I fly in and out of O'Hare quite often and never an issue.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdjs View Post
    This is the same as my experience. I have flown US Air, Delta, Southwest (and also Air Tran since SW bought them) and American with two small locked cases (one for handgun and one for ammo) inside a larger duffle. I have only had to open locked case with the handgun at check in and no airline employees have ever check the firearm, just placed the signed slip inside case except for one airline employee that just put it inside the duffle.

No airline employee has ever checked the ammunition. Only two airline employees have asked me if the ammunition was packed separately.

I usually fly out of Philadelphia but several flights ago I went out of Newark, NJ. No issues at all in Newark. I fly in and out of O'Hare quite often and never an issue.
    Don't fly out of Newark anymore. The Third Circuit has determined that FOPA does not apply to airline travel, only automobile travel. The covers New Jersey, Delaware, and parts of PA.

In New Jersey you would need a Jersey permit to carry a handgun to be legal. If they bust you, you will go to jail until the US Supreme Court accepts an appeal from you, and I don't think they will. You are currently illegal under federal law and state law to have a handgun at an airport in Jersey.

I am not a lawyer, here is the ruling:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...ruAirports.pdf

Here is some discussion:

http://forum.pafoa.org/national-11/2...13-2013-a.html

(Northampton County)

It's been a year since I've flown but I think they want to see the gun to sign the red slip that they inspected it. I don't remember what the slip says.

TSA does not require ammo is separate. They require ammo is contained and covered. Some airlines (one?) require that the ammo is separate per their own rule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast