Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Somerset County)

Exclamation 257 Roberts Ackley Improved

i might be getting rid of my tc venture in 25-06, reloading dies, and 80 some pieces of rem brass. i'll be buying a encore in 257 Roberts Ackley Improved, 1 in 10" twist, in a 21" mgm barrel. i sent an email to mgm barrels to make sure it has a 40 degree shoulder, so that is taken care of. i have 2 full boxes of 115 grain nosler ballistic tips. do these work for deer, busting a shoulder, etc, or should something else work?
    should fireforming be 87 or 100gr? would imr 4350 work? the ack imp is new to me, any help will be greatly appreciated..

(Wayne County)

Default Re: 257 Roberts Ackley Improved

Should have posted in firearms and classified. You get your Venture fixed? Why not a 257 Weatherby?

(Somerset County)

AI'ed Roberts is cool but performance wise, you're not gaining anything over the 25-06 (except less case stretching) are you?

That said, over on the 24 hour campfire, there are a ton of Ackley fans (in all calibers, not just 25), there's more traffic there and they'll probably have all the answers you need.

115 gr will work just fine but I bet they recommend 100 gr or maybe the 80 grain TTSX from Barnes.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr.../forum_summary

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; November 1st, 2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: website added

(Somerset County)

since i had a stroke the right half of my body only gets about 20%. i've wanted a 257bob ai for years, and i get the chance now, esp with the encore. i shoot leftie(alway have)so some bolts are becoming problematic to me.
    besides, i get another gun

If you have wanted a .257ai for years well life is short, have some fun. The .257 is a nice little cartridge.

You may get more/better responses over in the reloading section.

http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-reloading-25/