Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default .40 S&W opinions please

Okay guys, since we all love throwing our opinions around...here's your chance!

I'm in the market for a new .40. I'd love to find a Charter Arms Pit Bull because I just prefer revolvers...but they're hard to come by, even on GunBroker. My other half (who reminds me constantly "you only have 2 hands, why do you need more than 2 guns) has given me a price limit of $500 because we're remodeling our house. That gives me a few decent options based on what is available at Bud's and locally...

1. CZ P-07
    2. Glock 22
    3. Magnum Research Baby Eagle
    4. Steyr M40-A1 or S-A1 (others in family)

I've handled and used or owned a Ruger SR40, a Sigma, a Bersa Thunder Pro and even a Hi Point...and don't laugh but the Hi Point was the most accurate shooter of the lot based on POA and POI. I want a solid, reliable gun that handles most ammo, is known to be accurate, and can take a beating and keep on shooting. So guys, opinions in 3, 2, 1...

(Mercer County)

Default Re: .40 S&W opinions please

If you like revolvers why not consider a S&W 610.

You can shoot both 40 [Short & Weak] and 10mm through the 610.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Franklin County)

I suspect most people are gonna recommend the Glock - which meets your stated requirements. Note, however, most people prefer to change the sights... which can be a deferred $60 - $100 expense.

IMO, the difference in recoil in a 40 S&W between a plastic and all metal pistol is significant. The CZ, for example, is much more comfortable to shoot than a Glock. On the other hand, the Glock is much easier to work on for the home 'wanna be' gunsmith.

Just two factors for consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by kismet1113 View Post
    Okay guys, since we all love throwing our opinions around...here's your chance!

I'm in the market for a new .40. I'd love to find a Charter Arms Pit Bull because I just prefer revolvers...but they're hard to come by, even on GunBroker. My other half (who reminds me constantly "you only have 2 hands, why do you need more than 2 guns) has given me a price limit of $500 because we're remodeling our house. That gives me a few decent options based on what is available at Bud's and locally...

1. CZ P-07
    2. Glock 22
    3. Magnum Research Baby Eagle
    4. Steyr M40-A1 or S-A1 (others in family)

I've handled and used or owned a Ruger SR40, a Sigma, a Bersa Thunder Pro and even a Hi Point...and don't laugh but the Hi Point was the most accurate shooter of the lot based on POA and POI. I want a solid, reliable gun that handles most ammo, is known to be accurate, and can take a beating and keep on shooting. So guys, opinions in 3, 2, 1...
    -Glock 23 - Personally owned; prefer the size to the 22; would be my best recommendation.
    -Beretta Storm PX4 - Comfortable and uses a rotating barrel system; accessories a bit harder to find.
    -M&P40c Can use X-Grips/Full size magazines and is a good alternative to the Glocks.

I would highly recommend that you stay AWAY from Charter Arms. The only trustworthy revolver I've seen from them is their 44 special. I wouldn't go with a revolver for this cartridge at all but I'd go with the Taurus 405 before I went with a Charter Arms, but I've not seen any acceptable accuracy out of any of those. If you would want to go with a revolver the S&W 610 is really the only good choice.

The CZ has too much plastic and just feels too cheap to me.
    1776 or 1984? - You decide.

My first two pistols were 40s. USP Tactical and USP compact. If I could do it over again, they'd be Glocks...and not in 40. My two 40s sit in the safe now while I use my 9mm the most, 45 the second most.

40 S&W is kind of like the Supermoto of pistol cartridges. It's not a real good motorcycle and it's not a good dirtbike...or the cross over SUV, not a real good SUV and definitely not a pickup truck.

Here's my opinion (since you asked);
    The 40 is a watered down 10mm. It was made for females back when bullet design truly lacked. Right now, it really offers no advantage over a good 9mm bullet. It has a lower capacity and is a higher pressure round. They are used by LEO agencies, however, most non-LEO types carry them because they truly feel that extra .045" and 40 extra grains is going to make a dramatic difference. However, what is gained in weight and diameter, is sacrificed in speed. If I were into selling guns, I may offer to sell you one of my almost new 40 S&W USPs.

Out of the guns you listed, If you are dead set on a 40 S&W, I'd go with the Glock. None of the other offerings you listed would even be considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a M&P 40c and I love it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    I have a M&P 40c and I love it . . .
    M&P would be my second choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    My first two pistols were 40s. USP Tactical and USP compact. If I could do it over again, they'd be Glocks...and not in 40. My two 40s sit in the safe now while I use my 9mm the most, 45 the second most.

40 S&W is kind of like the Supermoto of pistol cartridges. It's not a real good motorcycle and it's not a good dirtbike...or the cross over SUV, not a real good SUV and definitely not a pickup truck.

Here's my opinion (since you asked);
    The 40 is a watered down 10mm. It was made for females back when bullet design truly lacked. Right now, it really offers no advantage over a good 9mm bullet. It has a lower capacity and is a higher pressure round. They are used by LEO agencies, however, most non-LEO types carry them because they truly feel that extra .045" and 40 extra grains is going to make a dramatic difference. However, what is gained in weight and diameter, is sacrificed in speed. If I were into selling guns, I may offer to sell you one of my almost new 40 S&W USPs.

Out of the guns you listed, If you are dead set on a 40 S&W, I'd go with the Glock. None of the other offerings you listed would even be considered.
    I wish my glock was a 9mm. 40 S&W is just too expensive to shoot regularly.

While I would agree that the 40 is a watered down 10mm, I almost never see .40 in stores, let alone 10mm, if I were to buy a 10mm handgun it would be just a carry gun, it would almost never make it to the range due to the cost and the hard time finding ammo.

If I could do it all over again, I would buy a 9mm to plink with, and a 10mm to carry.

OP, go with a Glock 23. You wont be disappointed.

(Northampton County)

If the Baby Eagle is steel framed that would be my first choice.
    Will last 3 lifetimes easily.

Otherwise

P07
    Baby Eagle
    Steyr
    Block

Funny how you have the two strikers with the bestand worst ergos.

I would do the cz-75 instead of the p-07. That's an all metal gun with a decent capacity and, well, it's a cz.

I would also stay away from charter arms. Every revolver I've held of theirs has felt about as cheap as a child's toy. No thank you
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast