Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default i want to take the nra rifle instructor class in lower bucks county

I want to get my nra rifle instructor certification so I could be a boy scout merit badge councilor and be able to teach rifle safety to our youth. Any classes forming? I think we need 4 for a class.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: i want to take the nra rifle instructor class in lower bucks county

Quote Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
    I want to get my nra rifle instructor certification so I could be a boy scout merit badge councilor and be able to teach rifle safety to our youth. Any classes forming? I think we need 4 for a class.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this now, rather than 3 weeks before summer camp.

Are you already an NRA instructor?

Have you taken an NRA Basic Rifle Course?

I am "out of position" at present (away from my manuals) but expect to have to show competency with Rifle Safety and marksmanship BEFORE the instructor course (or attend a 14 hour Basic Rifle) and then 6 hours "Basic Instructor Training" (how to be an NRA instructor, generic) and 15 hours (minimum) of Rifle discipline curriculum review/return demonstration.

Minimal need is for a 50 foot range.

NRA just changed the fees schedule TO THEM FOR CERTIFICATION, so I don't have that memorized. I do know they discount (50%) the cost of materials IF they know it is for a BSA application at the time of order.

NRA 'suggests' a minimum group of 6 (six) candidates to make a worthwhile cohort for the demonstrations/coaching/etc.

"Certified Instructor" has to be 21, assistant 18, 'associate' 14.

Note also, per my last inquiry, BSA requires TWO people (minimal) to supervise any shooting activity; an instructor, AND a certified Range Safety Officer (21) (a minimal 9 hour course)

Pacer
    Eagle Scout
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun (etc) and Personal Protection Training Counselor.
    Bensalem

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this now, rather than 3 weeks before summer camp.

Are you already an NRA instructor?

Have you taken an NRA Basic Rifle Course?

I am "out of position" at present (away from my manuals) but expect to have to show competency with Rifle Safety and marksmanship BEFORE the instructor course (or attend a 14 hour Basic Rifle) and then 6 hours "Basic Instructor Training" (how to be an NRA instructor, generic) and 15 hours (minimum) of Rifle discipline curriculum review/return demonstration.

Minimal need is for a 50 foot range.

NRA just changed the fees schedule TO THEM FOR CERTIFICATION, so I don't have that memorized. I do know they discount (50%) the cost of materials IF they know it is for a BSA application at the time of order.

NRA 'suggests' a minimum group of 6 (six) candidates to make a worthwhile cohort for the demonstrations/coaching/etc.

"Certified Instructor" has to be 21, assistant 18, 'associate' 14.

Note also, per my last inquiry, BSA requires TWO people (minimal) to supervise any shooting activity; an instructor, AND a certified Range Safety Officer (21) (a minimal 9 hour course)

Pacer
    Eagle Scout
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun (etc) and Personal Protection Training Counselor.
    Bensalem

What is the rifle marksmanship portion that you refer to?

I am an NRA basic pistol instructor, but I am looking to eventually get the basic rifle and shotgun instructor certs.

For basic pistol, it was something like 15-20 rounds at around 7 yards or so (I dont remember exactly).

I am guessing that it is something similar to the pistol pre-req?

Also, would you know what the shotgun marksmanship pre-req is?

AG

(Bucks County)

I need to exercise my disclaimer. My memory is not as good as having access and looking up the details in my manual.

I made a mistake from memory on the first post. Apprentice Instructor is 13-17 years of age.

Yes, four candidates per course is highly suggested. (six becomes more cost efficient for the Training Counselor to commit time to task away from other pursuits). Ten to twelve is optimal (per manual, 2010)

BIT (Basic Instructor Training) for prior NRA Instructors must be WITHIN TWO (2) YEARS, or you must re-attend that portion (6hr nominal, more likely 8)

"However, a Training Counselor may require attendance in the Basic Instructor Training portion at their discretion. If it has been over two years since an instructor attended part one, the instructor must repeat it when adding instructor ratings." (NRA TC Manual Rev 1-10, Page A-20)

Precourse Qualification: 1.5 to 5 hours.

Rifle (Course length 14 hours NOMINAL..May take longer depending on questions from students and skill levels*)

The NRA Instructor Training Pre-Course Qualification is to be administered after the potential Instructor Candidate has achieved a minimum score of 90 percent on the Basic Rifle Shooting Course Student Exam.

Alternatively, candidates may provide documented proof of
    NRA Competitive Rifle classification as a Sharpshooter or better, or a certification as an NRA LEAD Patrol Rifle or Precision Rifle Instructor.

Passing/Failing:
    The NRA Pre-Course Qualification for Rifle will have a maximum score of 100 points and a minimum passing score of 80 points. Minimum passing requirement must be met in each phase.

Unsafe Gun Handling:
    Candidates who demonstrate unsafe gun handling will be given 0 points for that
    particular skill test. Examples of unsafe gun handling include pointing the gun in an unsafe direction or any area not designated as safe by the Training Counselor, sweeping one’s own body, or placing the finger on the trigger before being ready to shoot.

Minimum Passing 12 points / Maximum 15 points
    5 points maximum per action type
    Bolt Action Rifle
    Lever Action Rifle
    Semi-Automatic Rifle

Unloading

Using dummy ammunition, instructor candidate must demonstrate how to clear a common rifle stoppage using a semi-automatic rifle. Training Counselor will set-up the rifle and conduct a practical exercise involving failure to fire and double feeds.

Requests for assistance will result in a deduction of 3 points per action type in the exercises; candidate will be given a score of 0 for safety violations.

Candidate will shoot one type of rifle for the shooting phase of the qualification.
    Candidate must utilize a firearm that has front and rear sights; use of telescopic sights, riflescopes, or aiming devices is not allowed. A blank 4.5 inch diameter circle at a distance of 25 yards will be used as the target for the shooting phase. Candidate will fire 10 shots from each of three positions: bench rest position, prone position, and standing,unsupported position. A fresh target will be used for each position. Two points will be given for each shot that hits the paper.

Shotgun (Course length 11 hours NOMINAL, after BIT, depending on instructor skill level, speaking abilities and questions*)

Pump Action Shotgun
    Hinge Action Shotgun
    Semi-Automatic Shotgun

Unloading

Pump Action Shotgun
    Hinge Action Shotgun
    Semi-Automatic Shotgun

PHASE 2 – CLEARING COMMON SHOTGUN STOPPAGES
    Using dummy ammunition, instructor candidate must demonstrate how to clear a common shotgun stoppage using a pump or semi-automatic shotgun. Training Counselor will set-up the shotgun and conduct a practical exercise involving failure to fire and double feeds.
    Requests for assistance will result in a deduction of 3 points per action type in the exercises; candidate will be given a score of 0 for safety violations.

PHASE 3 – SHOTGUN SHOOTING
    Candidate will fire one 25-shot round of trap or skeet; when practical, give the
    prospective candidate his or her choice. When skeet is shot, the doubles may be shot as
    additional singles on stations 1, 2, 6, and 7. Minimum total hits of 13 must be attained.
    Two requalification shoots are allowed within any 24-hour period.

My TC philosophy, which _may_ vary from published dogma, is that you are my colleague, and it is my task to assure you are prepared to go forth. If we have an issue with a concept that will become a question for your students, we'll deal with it until you have access to the information and a basic understanding. With talkative groups and inquisitive minds, this typically takes an extra two to three hours in instructor development. This 'extra time' has not been experienced when the candidate has recently taken he Basic 'discipline' course with the TC before the instructor course. Candidates seem to better understand the principles and essentials, as well as the NRA 'method' and can concentrate on the instructor tasks when these programs are taken int total and sequential.

Very Respectfully,
    BJB, AKA Pacer

(Lehigh County)

Thanks Pacer.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

AG

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I need to exercise my disclaimer. My memory is not as good as having access and looking up the details in my manual.

I made a mistake from memory on the first post. Apprentice Instructor is 13-17 years of age.

Yes, four candidates per course is highly suggested. (six becomes more cost efficient for the Training Counselor to commit time to task away from other pursuits). Ten to twelve is optimal (per manual, 2010)

BIT (Basic Instructor Training) for prior NRA Instructors must be WITHIN TWO (2) YEARS, or you must re-attend that portion (6hr nominal, more likely 8)

"However, a Training Counselor may require attendance in the Basic Instructor Training portion at their discretion. If it has been over two years since an instructor attended part one, the instructor must repeat it when adding instructor ratings." (NRA TC Manual Rev 1-10, Page A-20)

Precourse Qualification: 1.5 to 5 hours.

Rifle (Course length 14 hours NOMINAL..May take longer depending on questions from students and skill levels*)

The NRA Instructor Training Pre-Course Qualification is to be administered after the potential Instructor Candidate has achieved a minimum score of 90 percent on the Basic Rifle Shooting Course Student Exam.

Alternatively, candidates may provide documented proof of
    NRA Competitive Rifle classification as a Sharpshooter or better, or a certification as an NRA LEAD Patrol Rifle or Precision Rifle Instructor.

Passing/Failing:
    The NRA Pre-Course Qualification for Rifle will have a maximum score of 100 points and a minimum passing score of 80 points. Minimum passing requirement must be met in each phase.

Unsafe Gun Handling:
    Candidates who demonstrate unsafe gun handling will be given 0 points for that
    particular skill test. Examples of unsafe gun handling include pointing the gun in an unsafe direction or any area not designated as safe by the Training Counselor, sweeping one’s own body, or placing the finger on the trigger before being ready to shoot.

Bolt Action Rifle
    Lever Action Rifle
    Semi-Automatic Rifle

Unloading

Using dummy ammunition, instructor candidate must demonstrate how to clear a common rifle stoppage using a semi-automatic rifle. Training Counselor will set-up the rifle and conduct a practical exercise involving failure to fire and double feeds.

Candidate will shoot one type of rifle for the shooting phase of the qualification.
    Candidate must utilize a firearm that has front and rear sights; use of telescopic sights, riflescopes, or aiming devices is not allowed. A blank 4.5 inch diameter circle at a distance of 25 yards will be used as the target for the shooting phase. Candidate will fire 10 shots from each of three positions: bench rest position, prone position, and standing,unsupported position. A fresh target will be used for each position. Two points will be given for each shot that hits the paper.

Shotgun (Course length 11 hours NOMINAL, after BIT, depending on instructor skill level, speaking abilities and questions*)

Pump Action Shotgun
    Hinge Action Shotgun
    Semi-Automatic Shotgun

Unloading

Pump Action Shotgun
    Hinge Action Shotgun
    Semi-Automatic Shotgun

PHASE 2 – CLEARING COMMON SHOTGUN STOPPAGES
    Using dummy ammunition, instructor candidate must demonstrate how to clear a common shotgun stoppage using a pump or semi-automatic shotgun. Training Counselor will set-up the shotgun and conduct a practical exercise involving failure to fire and double feeds.

PHASE 3 – SHOTGUN SHOOTING
    Candidate will fire one 25-shot round of trap or skeet; when practical, give the
    prospective candidate his or her choice. When skeet is shot, the doubles may be shot as
    additional singles on stations 1, 2, 6, and 7. Minimum total hits of 13 must be attained.
    Two requalification shoots are allowed within any 24-hour period.

My TC philosophy, which _may_ vary from published dogma, is that you are my colleague, and it is my task to assure you are prepared to go forth. If we have an issue with a concept that will become a question for your students, we'll deal with it until you have access to the information and a basic understanding. With talkative groups and inquisitive minds, this typically takes an extra two to three hours in instructor development. This 'extra time' has not been experienced when the candidate has recently taken he Basic 'discipline' course with the TC before the instructor course. Candidates seem to better understand the principles and essentials, as well as the NRA 'method' and can concentrate on the instructor tasks when these programs are taken int total and sequential.

Very Respectfully,
    BJB, AKA Pacer

(Bucks County)

awesome information. i am looking to not be nra certified for summer camp, just as a local merit badge councilor for the local troop. the shooting portion i will most likely do at a commercial range (most likely ready aim fire in bristol or pistol people in croyden) where they already have rso's there so all i would need is the rifle instructor cert. in order to get rifle instructor i will need to take the basic rifle class first as well as nra instructor?

ccphilly1984
    bristol, PA
    life scout and committe member (as of tomorrow) troop 212, grundy foundation.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.