Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Ruger SP-101 .357 for Wife

Years ago before I knew better, I got my wife a S&W 637 Airweight for a self-defense firearm. She is very petite woman and lightweight snubbies have a lot a recoil, especially for a rather small and inexperienced person. She would do better with a full-size K-frame, but it would be hard for a 99-lb 5'1" woman to conceal/carry.

She also has a problem racking the slide on a semiauto, so I believe a revolver is best for her.

I was thinking the Ruger SP-101 .357 Magnum with 3" barrel would be a nice compromise. It would be big enough to minimize recoil yet small enough for her to carry. It can shoot both .357 Magnum and .38 Special ammo.

Who makes a good conceal/carry holster for the SP-101? She often wears dresses versus slacks.

What do you folks think?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger SP-101 .357 for Wife

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post

Who makes a good conceal/carry holster for the SP-101? She often wears dresses versus slacks.

What do you folks think?
    Just asked my wife. The whole concealed carry with a dress as opposed to say Jeans with a t-shirt and a pullover on top of that are different animals. She prefers to carry in her purse when she is wearing a dress.

Concealed carry with a dress can be pulled off if she wears a coat or some sort of jacket on top but only if she has a belt to support the weight of the gun. SP101s are heavy (29 Oz).

Thigh holsters are ridiculous in my opinion. High on aesthetics but low on practicality.

IMHO she is better of concealing it in a handbag or a purse if she is wearing a dress.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    Years ago before I knew better, I got my wife a S&W 637 Airweight for a self-defense firearm. She is very petite woman and lightweight snubbies have a lot a recoil, especially for a rather small and inexperienced person. She would do better with a full-size K-frame, but it would be hard for a 99-lb 5'1" woman to conceal/carry.

She also has a problem racking the slide on a semiauto, so I believe a revolver is best for her.

I was thinking the Ruger SP-101 .357 Magnum with 3" barrel would be a nice compromise. It would be big enough to minimize recoil yet small enough for her to carry. It can shoot both .357 Magnum and .38 Special ammo.

What do you folks think?
    I found a Ruger SP101 in .32 magnum. Most all of them have 3" barrels. It is out of production but they are not too hard to find. The ammo has been relatively easy to find. My own opinion is that firing the .357, especially, from an SP101 would yield excessive recoil. Probably the .38 specials would be better. My brother has the SP101 in .357 and says it s a handful.

Even the .32 magnum has a little "kick" though my wife has no problem going between that and her .22 LCR.

I am VERY happy with mine and immediately stored up about 300 rounds of .32 mag ammo. I also have shot the straight .32 out of my gun and while the round is probably too anemic for self defense it is remarkably accurate and fun to practice with.

I would have gotten a SP101 in .327 but they are a bit harder to find and can run up into the 700 - 800 price range. My SP101 cost me $525 BTW, NIB.

Best of luck in your decision and looking!

(Berks County)

lemko,

There are so many points to mention here... I could write a book!

You are correct. That Airweight is practical for most of us using .38spls or +p ammo only. Most of the time, the misses will likely be inside and magnums are not a good choice for inside use. I usually carry .38spl +p when inside. Gold Dot 135gr short barrel ammo is a very good choice.

Magnums ARE that much louder. Shotgun 155 decibels (db), .357magnum 160db, flash bang grenade 175-190db. With a short barrel there will be a lot of flash too. In low light levels, a good flash & bang may disorient both aggressor & intended target. Not good for the intended target.

I love the SP101. It is a great little revolver. Not that easy to find today because they are so popular. The advantage to the 2.25" barrel is that more holsters are available for it than the 3". I know... I have a 3".

Believe it or not, the Ruger LCR is not that hard to shoot moderate .357 magnums out of. (by moderate I'm thinking Remington Golden Sabers 125gr. Full house is closer to Gold Dot 125gr or better yet, Buffalo Bore 125gr loads). I thought it was going to be unpleasant, but I was wrong. It is lighter than the SP101 too.

HOLSTERS:
    For the misses, consider a bra holster or Smartcarry (with a dress/blouse combo with a break between the top & bottom pieces). There also is the air marshall.

Handbag carry is fine, but the misses must always remember to keep it close. It also is the first thing muggers & children go for. Regardless, there are plenty of inexpensive holsters for purse carry.

If you were not so far away, I'd ask you to join me at the range. There are a few techniques I might be able to show the misses when racking a semi-auto. I have know a few persons who have benefited, however, some still could not rack that slide... not uncommon at all. Some ladies hubby's have recommended a revolver to them, but they found they hated it. So I sold them a Walther.

Let us know how it all works out!

(Susquehanna County)

AWWW heck. Be a sport and take her to a nice indoor range where she can try out several different brands, types and calibers and pick her own. I know you're a real sport and you'll treat her to the rental fee and ammo anyhow.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Ruger SP-101 .357 for Wife

lemko, you may want to take her to CLASSIC PISTOL RANGE IN SOUTHAMPTO,PA.- they have a rental set up and also sell handguns/holsters etc.

(Allegheny County)

I love our S&W 686 4" stainless but it is pretty heavy - I think the Ruger may be even heavier. It is great to shoot compared to our smaller shorter barreled S&Ws in same caliber.

If she decides on purse carry which has its advantages/disadvantages, the Coronado line (cabelas sells) is awesome.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    My own opinion is that firing the .357, especially, from an SP101 would yield excessive recoil.
    I have a sister-in-law, a former sergeant in the USMC, who owns this pistol in .357, and she does not like it for that reason. She seems to think it is due to the pistol, and not due to the round, as she is completely comfortable firing .357 magnum in other pistols. End of unsolicited anecdotal support for your opinion.

(Monroe County)

I sold my Sp101 3" on the forum to buy a S&W 638 airweight. The Ruger is a tank for a snubbie and recoil with 357mag is just moderate. Carrying it for a small women would be a PITA.

(Chester County)

The SP-01 is a heavy pistol. Maybe have her carry something that ways the same as a loaded SP-01 in her purse around for a day to see how it works. My guess is that she will quickly tire of it, but who knows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast