Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 7mm bullets

Default 7mm bullets

What can you guys tell me about loading for the 7-08. I'm looking for a good hunting round for deer mostly.
    What powders do you like? What bullets(grain)?
    Just in general what can you tell me about this caliber?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: 7mm bullets

Not the 7mm-08 but I do load its little brother the 7 X 57. Just about the same thing as the 7mm-08 with the 08 being hotter. I load the 7x57 with the Hornady 154 gr., JSP and IMR 4350. There are two schools of thought on bullets and white tail Deer.
    One being a light fast bullet that expels all the energy inside the Deer. The other that I believe in is a heavier bullet that will pass threw the Deer. This argument has gone on for years with no clear winner. White tail Deer are very thin skinned animals. A well placed shots has more to do with a clean kill than the actual bullet, My last three Deer were shot with a Marlin 336 and a 170 gr, cast bullet going just over 1700 FPS. All were very clean fast kills on a 7 point and two 9 point bucks.

(Lawrence County)

I have the tc venture in 7-08. I have used sierra's 140 grain pro hunter with h4350 killed a buck ok accuracy was ok. switched to hornady 139 grain flat base interlocks with h4350 and the accuracy went from ok to great and the bullet just drop deer in there tracks when hit right. little hole going in a slightly bigger hole coming out with everything inside destroyed. plays hell on coyotes also.

(Somerset County)

I had a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08, it did well with 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and IMR 4320 powder. I didn't get around to trying them (mostly because the Nosler did so well from the start) but I also had a good supply of 139 gr Hornady flatbases. For hunting bullets, the basic Hornady Interlocks are usually my first grab. I've never used them but on another forum, there are a bunch of guys who swear by the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

IMR 4320 has been very good to me in both the 7mm-08 and the 358 Win.

Dale

(Lawrence County)

140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips or it's Lubaloxed sister the Combined Technology silvertips (same save for the coating).

The 139gr Hornady spire point is a lethal killer on a budget.

Personally, I love the 162gr A-Max, but that's a long bullet for the 7mm-08.

Lycanlovesthe7'sthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

What powders do you guys like? Dale said IMR4320.

I use for other calibers H4350, H4831sc, H414, H335 and W748, are any of those good for the 7-08.
    Do powders that are medium burn good or a bit slower? I plan to use a 22-24" barrel.

(Lawrence County)

I use h4350 with 139 grain and 140 grains I use varget in the 110 or 115 grain hollow points for long range coyote loads or just to blowup the groundhogs. from what I have read up on the 7=08 for the hunting bullets in big game weights a slower powder vs a faster powder works better in this caliber. a barrel length of 22 a minimum for this also . with my load of h4350 and 139 grain bullets from what I figured it out as in mid to high 28's. the 7-08 is a great hunting caliber. can be loaded down for beginner hunter for a recoil of not much more than a 243 but with a bigger bullet, and loaded up to take a moose with proper bullets and shot placement . only problem with this round is that it never caught on around here to be as popular as the 308 or 243 in that cartridge class. and the price of store bought ammo being about 10 to 15 dollars more a box than the other 2

Take a look at this site for your initial inquiring. Then determined the range and style of shot, such as only broadside or running and/or raking that you may take. See what bullet you may like for your personal style of shot then look at powders that you have on hand to accommodate the speed in which you want. Then see if your rifle likes your selection. Then shoot venison. Then examine your predeterminations standards to see how your choices and your rifle's likes performed.
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/
    May your hands be warmed on a frosty day.

(Tioga County)

I use the Sierra 140 gr btsp with 41.0 grs of Varget. It has worked very well for me and the couple of deer I've taken tasted pretty good as well.