Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Mom

(Franklin County)

Default California Mom

So my mom and sister are coming out from Cali at the end of June to visit for a while. My mom knows I have guns from a previous visit. She kind of freaked when she discovered that carrying a loaded gun in PA is perfectly legal. I guess she thought it was illegal everywhere, not just Cali. I think I desensitized her a bit last time obout CCing... after education and all. Now that I OC I know she'll flip a lid when I carry the gun openly in public... any help on this?

Edit: Dealing with my Mother is a lot more different then dealing with a police officer or stranger on the street about OC, please keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Pro2A; May 12th, 2008 at 06:58 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: California Mom

well, the primary suggestion is that same argument they used when you were young:
    "This is my house, if you don't like it...."

Simply explain how it is, and brook no argument about it.

You have no need to explain in my eyes, its legal, and you do it, thats all.
    thats how I do it.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Northampton County)

Use a what if or even a real instance of an encounter where being armed will save yours or her life.

(Indiana County)

You could give her a "Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights" flyer from www.PAOpenCarry.org

Of course, you could also point out that 1 out of 23 Pennsylvanians is licensed to carry a firearm concealed. And, if you factor out minors and those not authorized to carry, the ratio drops to about 1 in 19 adults, or possibly less. If she wasn't paranoid before, she will be after you tell her.
    Last edited by Statkowski; May 12th, 2008 at 07:47 PM.

(Washington County)

Explain that she should be more concerned with people who OC cell phones, as they are more likely to have fatal traffic accidents and develop brain tumors. Not to mention blowing up pacemakers.

Well, you know how when we were growing up they always said "my house, my rules?" When I first moved out and Mom came to visit, we established that it was now my house, and excessive butting in on things she knew we would disagree on was rude.

Course, it never hurts to meet halfway. You know the gun will make her nervous, especially carried openly. Might not hurt to show some concern for her feelings and cover up while she's around. Perhaps she'll appreciate the attempt to meet in the middle enough to pretend the gun isn't there.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(York County)

Try to explain to her that Franklin county, PA is very different than California. Not just the laws but peoples attitudes towards firearms. I spent 4 years out there when I was in the Army and peoples attitudes about a lot of things are different. Here guns are part of life. Out there a lot of people associate guns with gangs/criminals. I think the previous post about 1 out of 19 people having an LTCF would open her eyes. Go to a restaurant or store and count out 20 people, one or two are probably armed. (Maybe even more here in central PA)

I find a lot of peoples issues with guns comes from ignorance or preconceived notions that you have to have all sorts of special permits/licenses to own a gun. Thanks to TV most people assume the laws of NY or CA are the laws of the land.

In the end it is your life. She raised you to think for yourself, so you did. You have decided to protect yourself and your family. Is there any alternative?

(Indiana County)

Just remind her, as a loving son, when you are with her, you are her first line of defense, not a cellphone call to 911 (who may or may not do anything at all), and not the police (who are minutes away, if not longer).

(Monroe County)

I gotta go with the "Its my house, my state" suggestions. If she isn't "with it" enough to understand that California is a scourge on the US and that guns are not the issue then take her through downtown philly for a sunday evening drive... ardoun 10:00 pm should do.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    She kind of freaked when she discovered that carrying a loaded gun in PA is perfectly legal. I guess she thought it was illegal everywhere, not just Cali.
    Let your Mom know that carrying a loaded firearm is not illegal in California, if the person carrying has a California Permit to Carry(or whatever they call them there). It is less common there, since many County Sheriffs do not issue permits. Some Sheriffs do issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast