Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Non Resident LTCF

Hi folks,
    I need some advice. I reside in Las Vegas. I had a non resident PA LTCF. I know the law's been changed that I can no longer renew without being physically present. Are there any non resident permits that PA recognizes without being a resident of a reciprocal State? I know PA does not recognize Nevada, Utah or Florida ( unless you are a Florida resident). I was thinking of a New Hampshire Permit. Any suggestions?
    I am also looking seriously in moving to your State of PA sometime in 2014. I have firearms and ammo to move as well. Any suggestions would be more than welcome
    Thank you
    NRA Certified Firearms and RTBAV Instructor,

(Chester County)

Default Re: Non Resident LTCF

I thought PA still honored permits from Utah, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Now this could change with our current AG, but as of right now I'm fairly certain they still have reciprocity with Utah. I'm sure someone with better knowledge will be along shortly to confirm or deny this.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

As far as moving here, stay the hell out of Philly would be my best piece of advice to you.

Good luck.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Delaware County)

As a NON resident of Pennsylvania the Utah CWP would be recognized since there is reciprocity, the recent changes that have made are to force Pennsylvania residents to carry on a PA LTCF, not a license/permit issued by another state.

To obtain a Utah CWP you need a home state license if Utah and that home state recognize each other's license/permit, which PA & UT do, so there is no so called loophole and the agreement has not changed.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    As a NON resident of Pennsylvania the Utah CWP would be recognized since there is reciprocity, the recent changes that have made are to force Pennsylvania residents to carry on a PA LTCF, not a license/permit issued by another state.

To obtain a Utah CWP you need a home state license if Utah and that home state recognize each other's license/permit, which PA & UT do, so there is no so called loophole and the agreement has not changed.
    Thanks for the correction. So basically he needs to get a Nevada permit and then a Utah permit?

I have heard that it can be a pain in Las Vegas to get a permit, similar to how Philly operates. There may be a reason why he isn't or cannot do that.
    Last edited by ATBackpackin; October 27th, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

As far as bringing firearms into PA as a new resident...just bring 'em.

You are not required to "register" them or inform any state agency that they are here once you take up residence here.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ATBackpackin View Post
    Thanks for the correction. So basically he needs to get a Nevada permit and then a Utah permit?

I have heard that it can be a pain in Las Vegas to get a permit, similar to how Philly operates. There may be a reason why he isn't or cannot do that.
    No. While Utah honors all other states Permit/Licenses, Nevada does not recognize Utah, since the mutual recognition doesn't exist between UT & NV he doesn't need the home state license to obtain the Utah CWP.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    He does not need a Nevada permit to get a Utah permit since Utah does not have reciprocity with Utah.

There's an echo in here .....

Thank you all very very much for the info. I have Nevada, Utah, and Florida CCW Permits. I will apply for the PA LTCF when I come up there. I will also stay well away from Phily and thanks again for that piece of advice. Actually my brother and I were looking at either Erie or Bethlehem. I was retired and went back out to work. I am a Supervisor for First Transit and have an airport security clearance so I'm hoping my GM will be nice and get me a transfer when I'm ready to relocate.
    As far as a Nevada CCW. We have to go through a safety course and some range time (even for a renewal). Then we go to LVMPD, fill out an app and get fingerprinted than wait for about 3 months for the CCW Permit. The only thing we don't have to register is a long gun all the rest of my firearms are registered here in Clark County

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siguser View Post
    Thank you all very very much for the info. I have Nevada, Utah, and Florida CCW Permits. I will apply for the PA LTCF when I come up there. I will also stay well away from Phily and thanks again for that piece of advice. Actually my brother and I were looking at either Erie or Bethlehem. I was retired and went back out to work. I am a Supervisor for First Transit and have an airport security clearance so I'm hoping my GM will be nice and get me a transfer when I'm ready to relocate.
    As far as a Nevada CCW. We have to go through a safety course and some range time (even for a renewal). Then we go to LVMPD, fill out an app and get fingerprinted than wait for about 3 months for the CCW Permit. The only thing we don't have to register is a long gun all the rest of my firearms are registered here in Clark County
    If you like lots of snow I hear Erie is just the place for ya.

I might just stick with Bethlehem lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast