Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default drill and tap Mossberg 500C 20 gauge

Guys,

I want to have a Mossberg 500 20 gauge receiver drilled and tapped.

I have spoken to two gunsmiths and Gander mtn. Gander says they have to send it away, and won't quote a price.

The other two both quoted $25.00 per hole (x4 holes). the guy that recommended them to me does not have room to set up his drill press, otherwise he would have done it for me, so he referred me to these guys. When I told him they wanted $25.00 per hole, he was shocked, said that once it was set up, it was a simple procedure and only about 10-15 minutes work.

Does anyone here, know of a gunsmith in the greater Pittsburgh area, that would do a good job for less than that?

Not trying to be cheap, but the Cerakote is gonna be $100+ and I really don't want to be $100 into it with the drill and tap also.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

Default Re: drill and tap Mossberg 500C 20 gauge

What kind of optic are you trying to mount? You may have other options for far less money if you just want to mount a scope for deer hunting.
    Jules

(Washington County)

Wanted to have the option of adding a small red-dot, etc. for defensive purposes. not even sure if I want an optic at this point, but adding the rail before the Cerakote protects the finish and gives me options later.

I have the apt for the Cerakote on November 9th, so I would like to get the receiver done ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    What kind of optic are you trying to mount? You may have other options for far less money if you just want to mount a scope for deer hunting.
    Jules

(Monroe County)

$25 a hole is the standard price unfortunately. I get $20 a hole and use a milling machine. I repair allot of drill press work that guys screw up, I recommend to stay away from someone using a drill press. B-Square and maybe some other companies have mounts that use the trigger group pins to hold them one, I don't like them to much, they scratch the reciever up and tend to move around. I'm in 18302 so I can't help you unless you realy like to drive! But good luck to ya
    manharts gunsmithing/machine shop/dirt bike repair

(Washington County)

Thanks for all the replies guys, I got it taken care of from a forum member. After He explained the prep that needs to take place BEFORE the actual drilling of the holes, it make sense why they charge that much.

Quote Originally Posted by blottermachine View Post
    $25 a hole is the standard price unfortunately. I get $20 a hole and use a milling machine. I repair allot of drill press work that guys screw up, I recommend to stay away from someone using a drill press. B-Square and maybe some other companies have mounts that use the trigger group pins to hold them one, I don't like them to much, they scratch the reciever up and tend to move around. I'm in 18302 so I can't help you unless you realy like to drive! But good luck to ya