Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 200 yd slug gun

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 200 yd slug gun

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Most people that write about 200 yard shots can not judge distance too well. Lot of money for something a lead slug will do. Looking at posts here and listening to hunters talk, I would say 75-80 yards is average. Half of those people really had shots at 50-60 yards. I had a 20 Gauge rifled bolt action and went back to my lead smoothbore.
    Gunplummer, I agree with you on distance judgement of most hunters. My BIL, who has taken a considerable amount of deer over the years, and I were out on a power line and I asked him to guess the distance to a telephone pole which I judged to be about 120 out. He guessed at 150. It was 100 paces.

Clark Kent. I have never used that Hornady round but from your post (nice shotgun by the way) you are saying that that particular round only drops 9 more inches from 100 to 200. Am I reading your post correctly? What is your bbl length?.
    My 1 oz copper solids show (on the box) to drop 9.4 inches at 100 (shot through a 30" test bbl). I sight these in at 100 to try for 2 to 3" above my target center and would not attempt a shot beyond about 125 (if I could reasonably estimate that range). My SG has a 20" rifled bbl. which I bought specifically for Allegheny Co and for compactness in thick cover.
    I am waiting for delivery of a rangefinder and will sight in my Ithaca when it gets here.

I would still like to see some targets.
    I am going to take a long piece of cardboard and try seeing what my impact points are at 50, 100 (my normal sight in range) , 125 ( my self imposed range limit), 150 and maybe 200 ( I am pretty sure I will never be tempted to shoot at this range with a shotgun).
    I will only shoot 1 round each at these ranges just because of what they cost.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Dauphin County)

A slug at 200 yards?

How do you even see the slimy little thing at that distance?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    The 20g hornady would leave the muzzle at 1800 ft/sec. At 100 yrds. it is traveling at 1043 ft/sec. at 400 yrds it is traveling at 681 ft/sec. If you had this bullet zeroed at 100 yrds. It would drop 244" a total of 12 feet at 400 yrds...... Not 6" not even 6'. You want to shoot a $3 slug 400 yrds go ahead but if you hold over 6" at 400 yrds you will hit dirt about 150 yrds.
    I didn't give specifics on the 20g slug......the 12g slug is what I use. Look at the manufacturers numbers. I was wrong with 6" at 400 yards...it's 7" at 200 yards but the numbers are still deadly enough.

http://www.hornady.com/store/12-GA-SST-Slug-300gr-SST/

And I have NO idea where you get a number of 244" but me thinks your physics and mathematics are a little rusty my friend.
    Last edited by football061; October 27th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.

(Dauphin County)

For the 12g Hornady SST Zeroed in at 100yrds. it is a 127" Drop at 400 yrds.

For the 20g Hornady sst Zeroed at 100 yrds it is a 153 " Drop at 400 yrds.

Not sure where the 244" came from. Sorry about that

If you have a 12g Hornady Zeroed in at 100 yrds it is a 15" Drop at 200 yrds.

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Clark Kent. I have never used that Hornady round but from your post (nice shotgun by the way) you are saying that that particular round only drops 9 more inches from 100 to 200. Am I reading your post correctly? What is your bbl length?.
    Barrel is their standard length. 22 inches?

Found my notes on the slug gun in my reloading notepad. I'm seeing just over 10 inches of drop at 200 when it was sighted in for 2 inches high at 100. So I'm getting about a foot of drop between 100 and 200. Looks like I rezero'd it at 100 and left it there. I never recorded what it was at 200 after rezero'ing.

I should note, my club's range is slightly uphill.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Montgomery County)

For the 12g Hornady SST Zeroed in at 100yrds. it is a 127" Drop at 400 yrds.

For the 20g Hornady sst Zeroed at 100 yrds it is a 153 " Drop at 400 yrds.

Not sure where the 244" came from. Sorry about that

If you have a 12g Hornady Zeroed in at 100 yrds it is a 15" Drop at 200 yrds.
    I'm not trying to be a dick by pressing the matter, but what math are you using to figure out these numbers? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm almost tempted to pull out some physics and figure out the actual distance an object would travel with the muzzel velocity specified. Find out at 400 yards what the "y" position would be if you were to fire the bullet at an initial y position of 4'10", basically the shoulder height of a 5'10" person shooting the bullet at shoulder height.

(Dauphin County)

Thumbs up Re: 200 yd slug gun

No worries, No offense taken, I think it is a good program but maybe I am wrong. I am using the program at this web site.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/

You dont have to worry about step one. This just allows you to see bullet drop at particular Nikon Redicle Marks.

In Step two scroll down to 12 gauge or 20 gauge...you can check any cliber you want. Then put in your manufacturer name, in this case Hornady

In Step 3 enter a zero distance and a target distance and you will see the drop.

You can also click on the "Create Ballistics Report" icon and get a chart.

This is where I am getting the info. I did not do the math myself but relied on this program for the numbers. It has been just about right on with other caliber I have tested.

Hope it is helpful. Might motivate me to learn more about parabolic flight, and try some equations myself.

(Allegheny County)

No worries, No offense taken, I think it is a good program but maybe I am wrong. I am using the program at this web site.

Hope it is helpful. Might motivate me to learn more about parabolic flight, and try some equations myself.
    I checked that out and ran some numbers. I'm really not sure how much variation there might be in barrel length. The copper solids I run show a 9.4 inch drop at 100yds but they are using a 30" test barrel. I run a 20" barrel so am not sure what difference there might be.
    I am pretty damn confident that out to 100, if I can see it, I can put the bullet where it has to be. I've checked distance after a shot and usually figure a yard per stride. I know it's not accurate but it's what I do.

It's not my rifle and I hunt pretty thick cover so I never felt the need to get a longer barrel.

Good info

(Montgomery County)

You dont have to worry about step one. This just allows you to see bullet drop at particular Nikon Redicle Marks.

In Step two scroll down to 12 gauge or 20 gauge...you can check any cliber you want. Then put in your manufacturer name, in this case Hornady

In Step 3 enter a zero distance and a target distance and you will see the drop.

You can also click on the "Create Ballistics Report" icon and get a chart.

This is where I am getting the info. I did not do the math myself but relied on this program for the numbers. It has been just about right on with other caliber I have tested.

I think im gonna whip out some physics see how it plays out...ill do it on some paper and upload it here as a scanned jpeg...all a scope is technically doing is adjusting the angle of your weapon to allow an increase or decrease in the bullet's trajectory since, like you mentioned, bullets have a parabolic flight path.

(Allegheny County)

Hmm, thought my post went through but I don't see it.

Well, I just ordered 4 boxes of Rem Accutips and a box of Hornady's from Natchez.

The rems were $12.99 and the Hornady's were $12.49

For shits & giggles, I'll run some Copper solids, Accutips and SST's on separate targets n& different ranges. Might throw a few of the Winchester BRI's in there as well for some comparisons. Might have to wait till I come back from NH.

I'd still like to see some 200 yd targets from you guys who shoot this distance.

To be honest, I don't expect too much difference at 100.
    Time will tell ( Savoy Brown Ha.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast