Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Competition Target Shooting for Rifles

Hello everyone,

I have been wanting to get into Target Shooting with a rifle for a few years, but my health and no money has prevented me from doing so. I have started to get my health back in check. I had Arthroscopic knee surgery in January 2013, and I just had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Weight Loss Surgery on September 30, 2013 to lose weight so I can then have back surgery to repair a bulging disc in my lower back.

I would like to learn long range target shooting and go to long range shooting matches. The shooting distances I want to learn to shot at are between 300 yards and 600 yards. However I do not know where to go to get the knowledge and or where to go to shoot. I only have a Savage model 110 in .270 win, no open sights, with I believe a 4-10x 40mm scope. Yes I know, to be competitive and win matches, it will be expensive to get the proper equipment and it will take years of practice and competing to get to that level. I just want to learn how to shoot long range, meet others who shot long range and have fun doing it.

Does anyone know of any places in Eastern PA where I can go to, to learn long range shooting, practice what I learn and that holds competitions every once in a while?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Competition Target Shooting for Rifles

Hello Groff,

Unfortunatly the season for long range is close to over around our area. On a good note it gives you all winter to save up and collect some gear. I would recommend F-Class competiton for you. It requires the least amount of equipment.
    Your 270 should be a capable round to shoot 600 yrds. Not sure if you have any accuracy work done on your rifle??
    You might want to upgrade the scope. Most guys use from 30 to 50 power max scopes. If you troll the forums. http://www.accurateshooter.com/ you can find a lot of competition stuff for sale.
    You would need some kind of front rest, rear bag, a mat of some kind to lay on, and a spotting scope w/stand. Caldwell makes a decent front rest for about $150. Rear bags are anywhere from $20 up $150 depending on what you want. Spotting scopes are the same thing prices are from one extreme to the other. Konus makes some decent scopes for fair prices. Check out Creedmore Sports.
    Over all I don't think any competition shooting is cheap! But alot of the equipment is a one time thing, then it's just ammo and entry fees!
    As far as places to go. New Holland Rifle and Pistol has 600yrd (mid range)matches once a month all summer, Bridgville DE (long range) has a 1000 yrd range and had 2 matches this summer. We went to the long range regionals out in Altoona this year that's 1000 yrds. So there are some places but depending on where you live theres a little travel.
    Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps. Most people that shoot are very freindly and will answer any questions and give you tons of advise! It's a great thing to do and can be rewarding as you advance and learn.
    vanwhy

(Adams County)

Default Re: Competition Target Shooting for Rifles

first thing is if you don't reload start. then learn to buy you components In large amounts. check to see if there is any local clubs having any matches. some have 200 yard varmint matches.
    get a .22 and learn how to shoot it at 200 yards. that will teach you a lot about wind. and get you a lot of trigger time.

your rifle may or may not do. it depends on what type of shooting you want to do. you don't need a lot of money spent on a rifle. it looks good but does not win matches.