Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: This really irritates me. Rights come with Responsibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    How about the lower end sheet metal cabinets?
    I'm interested in the answer to that question too. Because... no reason, really... *whistles*

On a related note, I can comment that I've successfully broken into the sheet metal dealies after losing keys...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe88XJ View Post
    Somebody remind me why I even bother??!! Ummm did I say anywhere in my post that a gunsafe is whatever you say I make it sound like? No sir I did not...what I did say is that locking guns up to preventyou unathorized peoppe from gaining access to them (which is what responsible gun owners do) prevents tragedies and helps keep fuel from the anti gun media. Seriously now. Cut the crap...any thief with knowledge and time and tools can break into anything....we all know most gunsafes aren't truly safes the are residential secure storage containers. But don't waste my time with this kids crap...the number one way the everyday gun owner can protect their guns is with a unsafe. Are they impregnable ...of course not.
    You stated in a previous post that ".... it would suck to come home and get shot with your own gun." and I agree, getting shot would some how suck more if it were with my own gun. You also implied that it wouldn't be possible if you kept it locked in a gun safe.

I'm the first one to admit, how much I hate to see unsecured weapons. As far as I'm concerned, putting it in a closet and locking your front door is a method of securing a firearm. (not the best method, but it is a method)

The issue I have is people trying to dictate to others how to live their lives, store their guns, etc.... This debate is not very different from the OC vs CC, 9mm vs .45 ACP, fixed blade vs mechanical broadheads, chicken or egg arguments that have clogged up the internet for years. All parties are so certain their "choice" is right for them, it must be right for everyone else....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Westmoreland County)

We as responsible gun owners have a right to own any gun that is legal to own but we also have a responsibility to make a reasonable effort to keep said guns away from bad people. This includes who we sell to, how we store them, even how we carry them. If we make a "best effort" attempt to do this and somehow the bad guys get them anyway then we have tried to do the right thing. Who is to say when we have done enough? Is a stamped steel cabinet enough, is selling only to people we know or who have a LTCF or CCW permit enough? Each person has to make that decision for themselves and live with the consequences. It is kind of like making your house secure, you probably don't need a stockade just a more secure house than normal so you don't become a victim. Unfortunately all the gun safes and gun laws in the world won't keep bad guys from having guns therefore we need to do what we can to protect our families from harm and prevent our property and especially our firearms from being taken from us and possibly used in other crimes. JMO.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    You stated in a previous post that ".... it would suck to come home and get shot with your own gun." and I agree, getting shot would some how suck more if it were with my own gun. You also implied that it wouldn't be possible if you kept it locked in a gun safe.

I'm the first one to admit, how much I hate to see unsecured weapons. As far as I'm concerned, putting it in a closet and locking your front door is a method of securing a firearm. (not the best method, but it is a method)

The issue I have is people trying to dictate to others how to live their lives, store their guns, etc.... This debate is not very different from the OC vs CC, 9mm vs .45 ACP, fixed blade vs mechanical broadheads, chicken or egg arguments that have clogged up the internet for years. All parties are so certain their "choice" is right for them, it must be right for everyone else....
    I think you are mis interpreting me...I barely have time to run my own life...I am not trying to dictate to anybody...I am just trying to spread the message and promote the message of responsible gun stewardship and also express some frustration about what I feel is irresponsible stewardship. I am not saying I know what's best for you or anyone else and that you must comply. I also didn't say anything about putting a gun under lock and key making it impossible to be accessed....I did state that the everyday gun owner uses a safe and that they prevent incidents. I feel you may be splitting hairs recon...I really don't wish to argue. I would rather spend my time on more productive efforts.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    How about the lower end sheet metal cabinets?
    Never in any type of locked cabinet...But if it screams "gun" and its easy then I could see it being a temptation.. it's just not the norm for the residential burglar. They get in, grab whatever is easy to get out quick and go. Unless it's someone in there for a purpose, they don't stay long and don't break into safes like in the movies.

Commercial.....totally different story.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Never in any type of locked cabinet...But if it screams "gun" and its easy then I could see it being a temptation.. it's just not the norm for the residential burglar. They get in, grab whatever is easy to get out quick and go. Unless it's someone in there for a purpose, they don't stay long and don't break into safes like in the movies.

Good information. YouTube has videos on how easy it is to break into some safes. The O.P. about getting all jazzed cause now I got an ar is funny in that he didn't have these thoughts about the shotgun or the bolt action. Like the modern sporting rifle is somehow magical talisman of evil. Movies are more dangerous than guns, they put crazy notions into impressionable minds. Not to mention video games that act as trainers for nut jobs. Some can tell the difference between fantasy and reality and some can not. Nobody talks about keeping your car in a safe, it can be stolen and used to kill. Interesting thread.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe88XJ View Post
    How many shootings could have been avoided if gun owners had acted responsible in the exercising of their rights to keep and bear arms. Sandy Hook is one for sure.

Another is a local 17 yr old kid who took his fathers guns from his bedroom closet and did a suicide by cop.
    In the case of the Sandy Hook shooter he killed his mother so he had all the time in the world to get a gun even if it was locked in a safe.

Secondly if a kid wants to commit suicide they will whether they use a gun or not.

You are just like the antis and the government wanting to tell everyone how to live their life.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post

Definitely city mouse vs. country mouse. I had several cases of safes (not gun safes) peeled within the residence. When the nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away, there's time and distance to be noisy.

A father-in-law of one of the Troopers I worked with had his house burglarized. They moved the gun safe and then shot it with a shotgun. Didn't get in and appeared to have gotten some ricocheted pellets judging by the blood.

By and large, a decent gun safe (RSC) will keep out your opportunity burglar. Those are the miscreants that knock on a door and go in when no one answers. They're nearly useless against someone that comes prepared to open it. Then you need a real safe and not an RSC.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Berks County)

house down the street from me got broken into and the thieves stole the whole gun safe. The neighbor just sat on the porch and watched them load it up in a truck and drive off.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    In the case of the Sandy Hook shooter he killed his mother so he had all the time in the world to get a gun even if it was locked in a safe.

Secondly if a kid wants to commit suicide they will whether they use a gun or not.

You are just like the antis and the government wanting to tell everyone how to live their life.

Wow...hey einstein...guess how he killed his mother?? With one of the guns that she didn't have locked up.

As for the kid....he wouldn't have committed suicide by making a cop shoot him if the father had them locked up. That cop has to live with that and his father has to live with his role. Hey if you want to be irresponsible and leave a gun unsecured..by all means do so...and you can live with whatever happens if its stolen from you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast