Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Non_resident CCW

Quote Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
    I found out the hard way that Bucks county has restrictions. I went to apply today and was told they will not grant an NR permit unless your residence state allows PA residents to get an NR permit. Unfortunately they say MA is on their 'bad state' list. The woman behind the counter said this is a recent change in policy. I wish they had put this information on their website. It would have saved me an hour+ round trip from my in-laws.
    As a non resident with a CCW of your home state (I assume you do), try another county while you're still in PA. Call and ask if they'll issue to you...they're required too, but calling first is best.

(Dauphin County)

The part that confuses me the most is that MA does have an NR permit and there's nothing stopping PA residents from getting one. I didn't have this information at hand when I was there, and even if I did there was no way an office clerk was going to unilaterally change policy a few hours before the office closed for the holidays.

I will contact them via phone when I'm back in MA, but like you say, I don't think I have standing to really challenge or change anything.

MA law
    GOAL's (MA's gun owner's association) page on NR permits
    As a non-resident being refused you are one of the few people who potentially do have standing to challenge it, but you would have to be motivated enough to do so (which would involve suing them, which would probably take more money and time than it's worth to you).

If you can't reason with them, and can't afford to sue them over the policy generally, you could try the less costly approach of an appeal of denial. First you would have to try to apply and be denied. In other words attempt to hand them an application and fee, and either a.) get a denial in the mail, or b.) experience them refusing to take it from you (a constructive denial).

Then you would have to file an appeal, the details of which are lurking around here in the forum somewhere but which escape me at the moment.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    As a non resident with a CCW of your home state (I assume you do), try another county while you're still in PA. Call and ask if they'll issue to you...they're required too, but calling first is best.
    Good point, you do have your home state's permit, right JoeG?

And yeah, trying another county is a good idea for a low-cost, low-impact resolution.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Good point, you do have your home state's permit, right JoeG?

And yeah, trying another county is a good idea for a low-cost, low-impact resolution.
    I do have my MA LTC. Cost is not the issue, it's logistics that are the problem. Trying another county now means 4-5 hours away from family, which is time I don't generally have when we visit. I had some free time on Wed, which was why I went to Doylestown. Once I was refused there and Montgomery said I had to be back in 45 days to pick up the completed license I was out of options for this visit. The other counties were too far away to fit in.

At this point I've got 2 options - try to work with Bucks County and re-apply on my next visit, or make some calls and carve out some time for a trip to the nearest accommodating Sheriff. The only difference between the two is how far I'll have to drive to fill out the app. No matter what, next time I try I'll have more current info than what's posted on web sites.

I do have my MA LTC. Cost is not the issue, it's logistics that are the problem. Trying another county now means 4-5 hours away from family, which is time I don't generally have when we visit. I had some free time on Wed, which was why I went to Doylestown. Once I was refused there and Montgomery said I had to be back in 45 days to pick up the completed license I was out of options for this visit. The other counties were too far away to fit in.

At this point I've got 2 options - try to work with Bucks County and re-apply on my next visit, or make some calls and carve out some time for a trip to the nearest accommodating Sheriff. The only difference between the two is how far I'll have to drive to fill out the app. No matter what, next time I try I'll have more current info than what's posted on web sites.
    How about a PA county on the way home... that is if you don't leave on the weekend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123