Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Non_resident CCW

This caught my eye on that site:

If applicant is a permanent resident alien or a resident alien, they must submit alien registration card (original), 90 days proof of residency (immediately prior utility bills, credit card statements, bank statements, pay stubs with current address, or health insurance statements). Also, resident aliens must provide a valid hunting license. (My bold) WTF?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    This caught my eye on that site:

If applicant is a permanent resident alien or a resident alien, they must submit alien registration card (original), 90 days proof of residency (immediately prior utility bills, credit card statements, bank statements, pay stubs with current address, or health insurance statements). Also, resident aliens must provide a valid hunting license. (My bold) WTF?
    I suspect that it is an overly broad and incorrect application regarding the Federal exemption to the "prohibited persons" of 18 USC 922(g) regarding aliens admitted to US on a non-immigrant visa.

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person-

(5) who, being an alien-
    (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
    (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));

Generally, said aliens are Federally prohibited from ammo/firearm possession EXCEPT when, inter alia:

18 USC 922(y)

(2) Exceptions.-Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is-
    (A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I suspect that it is an overly broad and incorrect application regarding the Federal exemption to the "prohibited persons" of 18 USC 922(g) regarding aliens admitted to US on a non-immigrant visa.

Generally, said aliens are Federally prohibited from ammo/firearm possession EXCEPT when, inter alia:
    Hmmmm.... OK, was wondering where that came from. Kinda makes a little more (convoluted) sense now.

Damn aliens shouldn't be allowed to carry any of our guns anyhow.
    Alien-006.jpg

Thanks for the research. Can't rep you again yet

(Bucks County)

he wasn't as helpful as you however
    Drop a dime and get his license revoked :-(

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
    two questions...Since I won't have a residence here' does the county to which I apply matter?
    Legally, doesn't matter what county you use. I highly recommend Centre county - in and out in just a few minutes, LTCF in hand. No bullshit involved.

Drove to Bucks County yesterday; was in and out in less than an hour and that was only because there were folks ahead of me in line. Nice folks behind the counter and the transaction was completed without issues. Thanks so much for helping me with this. It is appreciated!

Bob

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by robert.colapietro@snet.ne View Post
    Drove to Bucks County yesterday; was in and out in less than an hour and that was only because there were folks ahead of me in line. Nice folks behind the counter and the transaction was completed without issues. Thanks so much for helping me with this. It is appreciated!

Bob
    CONGRATS!!!

Now that you are a bona fide LTCFer, the following might be of interest regarding PA laws:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=7582
    IANAL

I found out the hard way that Bucks county has restrictions. I went to apply today and was told they will not grant an NR permit unless your residence state allows PA residents to get an NR permit. Unfortunately they say MA is on their 'bad state' list. The woman behind the counter said this is a recent change in policy. I wish they had put this information on their website. It would have saved me an hour+ round trip from my in-laws.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
    I found out the hard way that Bucks county has restrictions. I went to apply today and was told they will not grant an NR permit unless your residence state allows PA residents to get an NR permit. Unfortunately they say MA is on their 'bad state' list. The woman behind the counter said this is a recent change in policy. I wish they had put this information on their website. It would have saved me an hour+ round trip from my in-laws.
    That's completely without basis in law.

It drives me nuts when sheriffs decide to rewrite the law at their own whim.

The problem is that those who would have standing to challenge it usually don't have sufficient incentive to do so, so they get away with it.

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

The part that confuses me the most is that MA does have an NR permit and there's nothing stopping PA residents from getting one. I didn't have this information at hand when I was there, and even if I did there was no way an office clerk was going to unilaterally change policy a few hours before the office closed for the holidays.

I will contact them via phone when I'm back in MA, but like you say, I don't think I have standing to really challenge or change anything.

MA law
    GOAL's (MA's gun owner's association) page on NR permits

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast