Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Thoughts on the FNH Five-seveN?

Recently, I fondled an FNH Five-seveN. I must admit, I'm rather attracted to it for a number of reasons: magazine capacity, wound capability, muzzle velocity, and kick being near the top.

However, the price of the pistol and the limited availability (and single source) of the ammo is a concern.

Does anyone have any experience with them and and opinion on them, for or against? I'm looking at it for home defense and possibly as a firearm for my wife (it's the only pistol she's ever liked that's not a revolver).

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Thoughts on the FNH Five-seveN?

Quote Originally Posted by mcl View Post
    Recently, I fondled an FNH Five-seveN. I must admit, I'm rather attracted to it for a number of reasons: magazine capacity, wound capability, muzzle velocity, and kick being near the top.

However, the price of the pistol and the limited availability (and single source) of the ammo is a concern.

Does anyone have any experience with them and and opinion on them, for or against? I'm looking at it for home defense and possibly as a firearm for my wife (it's the only pistol she's ever liked that's not a revolver).
    I didn't have mine for long as I was not impressed with it. Recoil was good, accuracy was good, the gun had a lot of flash on the housings for that expensive of a gun. Worst of all was the ammo price if you could find it. No idea what it is now. Just overall I didn't see spending that much and sold it made a couple of bucks. It just didn't work for me.

(Chester County)

My first and favorite firearm.

If you're still considering one in the future, check out all the shops in your area to see how the ammo situation is around you. Start buying boxes until you have a comfortable supply, BEFORE you buy the pistol. It's so fun to shoot that you will want to feed it. A few months ago, I was down to about 500rds, and resisting going to the range was beyond frustrating. I've been lucky in finding a sizeable amount (at reasonable prices) since then.

The muzzle flash and loudness are a bit high for close quarters/home defense. But being able to send down 20rds very accurately is very reassuring.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know.

(Allegheny County)

I have one and love it, I don't carry it as I have other firearms to carry. Every one has their own thoughts on this gun but mine is a range toy that's it. Get what you like and have fun with whatever you decide on

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by del48 View Post
    My first and favorite firearm.

If you're still considering one in the future, check out all the shops in your area to see how the ammo situation is around you. Start buying boxes until you have a comfortable supply, BEFORE you buy the pistol. It's so fun to shoot that you will want to feed it. A few months ago, I was down to about 500rds, and resisting going to the range was beyond frustrating. I've been lucky in finding a sizeable amount (at reasonable prices) since then.

The muzzle flash and loudness are a bit high for close quarters/home defense. But being able to send down 20rds very accurately is very reassuring.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know.
    I forgot about the muzzle flash. That'd definitely go in the minus column for me. Do you have one of the USG variants, or the MK2?

What would you consider a reasonable street price for it? The one I was fondling was used (a range gun) and priced at or very very near MSRP ($1200+). I haven't started looking around with intent to buy yet, but it'd be good to have an idea of what to expect so I don't get ripped off if I do pick one up.

(Lancaster County)

If you already have 2K+ rounds stockpiled for it then go with it, otherwise avoid. The ammo situation is just one CNN story away from being back to February's levels, sadly for the next 3 1/2 years at least. Also consider spare parts: get everything you'll ever need for it because if it gets discontinued then another crash in supply happens, when something eventually breaks you're screwed. This last year has taught some REALLY harsh lessons.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; October 22nd, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I've only ever shot the Five-seveN once. It was fun to shoot that's for certain, but for me personally I couldn't see it as much more than a range toy.

Recoil is non-existent, but muzzle flash is very obvious and in your face (obviously lol). For every pro it has a con, yet the cons seem somewhat like nitpicks if that makes sense.

The price and lack of ammo variety is what keeps me on the fence when it comes to buying one. If there were not other things that I wanted/"needed" more at the moment shotgun, S&W shield and an AR, I'd definitely give strong consideration to a 5-7 come income tax time.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mcl View Post
    I forgot about the muzzle flash. That'd definitely go in the minus column for me. Do you have one of the USG variants, or the MK2?

What would you consider a reasonable street price for it? The one I was fondling was used (a range gun) and priced at or very very near MSRP ($1200+). I haven't started looking around with intent to buy yet, but it'd be good to have an idea of what to expect so I don't get ripped off if I do pick one up.
    I have the previous USG. I did handle an MKII at a gun show... the dealer wanted $1800. Haha! ~$1200 seems to be the going rate for a new one i think.
    Another consideration is magazines. It comes with 3, but if you want additional factory 20 rounders they are hard to come by. Basically jump on ordering when a site shows them in stock.

I think the 5.7x28 is an excellent cartridge. I have a PS90 as my primary HD gun and a Masterpiece Arms 57sst as a fun range toy. I really like the FiveseveN but I think it's overpriced for a polymer handgun. At best it's a $700 gun new.

My first experience with one was with a group of guys from Germany here on vacation and they had one along with an assortment of other popular handguns. The gun was shooting left at 15 yds and they had no tools, which wouldn't have mattered because they didn't know how to adjust the sight, but I digress. After I helped them adjust the rear sight, I told them they should be shooting that gun at the 50 yd line instead of the 15. We stapled a pie plate to the top of a piece of 2X4 and stuck it in the berm 54 yds out. They were amazed that the plate was so easy to hit that far out. Stock gun, stock sights, and factory ammo. Rapid fire control is amazing with this gun.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast