Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Places to find Tri-Tip (beef cut) near Allentown?

Wegmans got some Tri-Tips in....unfortunately priced at $10/lb. From some posts on the AR15 board, out west the cut is much, much cheaper....

Excellent cut, so I got a few and froze them....but I'm looking for a more reasonable price to stock up. One of the things my older daughter (away at college) has requested on her returns home is some more tri-tip....apparently the dining hall food is lacking in good beef.

Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Places to find Tri-Tip (beef cut) near Allentown?

You could call Baringer's Meats in the Allentown Farmers Market. Since that's only open on Thurs-Sat, you may want to call their Richlandtown Pike (Quakertown'ish) office. They have some of the best meats I've ever bought. I'm a little biased because my family has known theirs for generations and I used to work there...but the quality should speak for itself.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    You could call Baringer's Meats in the Allentown Farmers Market. Since that's only open on Thurs-Sat, you may want to call their Richlandtown Pike (Quakertown'ish) office. They have some of the best meats I've ever bought. I'm a little biased because my family has known theirs for generations and I used to work there...but the quality should speak for itself.
    Thanks, will do...trying a couple of avenues. I called Sams Club, and they pretty much didn't know what I was talking about (they started with thinking I wanted T bones, then down to Strip Steaks...finally they said something about $3.50/lb...but for all I know that's ground beef)...I'm actually going to stop by there and figure out what they have. One of my co-workers has a cousin that owns a market (just got a nice rib roast from him)...I'm going to try that also.

To those that haven't had the cut...it's very, very tasty. The bottom of the bottom sirloin. Cut against the grain, not very tough, but when grilled so it's crispy seared on the outside, rare inside...damn good.

AFARR

(Montgomery County)

I buy mine at the local BJ's.

Tri-tip, with a rub and smoked for 12-16 hours, is commonly what one refers to as smoked brisket. But, if you ask in the store for "brisket", you might get the part that doesn't have the tip section, just the flat. I've made friends with my local butcher at BJ's, and he knows to have tri-tips in stock for me.

If you're grilling tri-tips, you're majorly missing out on some of the finest eating out of that cut of meat. Smoke it and it'll be butter smooth and tender.

Craig

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CraigInPa View Post
    I buy mine at the local BJ's.

Tri-tip, with a rub and smoked for 12-16 hours, is commonly what one refers to as smoked brisket. But, if you ask in the store for "brisket", you might get the part that doesn't have the tip section, just the flat. I've made friends with my local butcher at BJ's, and he knows to have tri-tips in stock for me.

If you're grilling tri-tips, you're majorly missing out on some of the finest eating out of that cut of meat. Smoke it and it'll be butter smooth and tender.

Craig
    You're talking about the Point from a whole brisket (I've been smoking for years)...a bit different than the tri-tip (they do look similar now that you've pointed it out...). Tri-tip is part of the bottom sirloin (back end of the cow, vs the brisket at the front):

Raw:

Grilled:

(Lehigh County)

Trios provisions off of lower macungie road is a decent place to get meat. Never bought a tr tip there, but they have never disappointed when I asked for any non standard cuts of meat..

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

AFARR, I drooled all over my keyboard looking at your pic of the grilled (point, or brisket or tri-tip). Care to share specifics and your recipe? Thanks!

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AFARR View Post
    You're talking about the Point from a whole brisket (I've been smoking for years)...a bit different than the tri-tip (they do look similar now that you've pointed it out...). Tri-tip is part of the bottom sirloin (back end of the cow, vs the brisket at the front):

(Lancaster County)

Most butchers will cut some trip tip up for you if you give them a little notice. Its not very popular on the east coast which surprises me because it smokes really really well.

(Lehigh County)

http://www.kornfeinds.com/
    usually gets them but hes out of stock right now
    common sense is a mf

(Monroe County)

lol most east coast butcher do not do tri-tip. It is slowly spreading its way across the USA. But i am sure most butchers can get close if you ask.
    "If I had six hours to cut down a tree, I would take four hours sharpening my axe" Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast