Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Win. 1894 25-35 lever wont open after firing 3 rounds

Gentlemen,
    I have a Winchester 1894 pre-64 built around 1919. I recently replaced the breech bolt and it cycles a magazine if live ammo very smoothly and easily. When I went to test fire, by the 3rd round, the lever will not open to eject the 3rd round. It can be muscled to open but there is clearly something that's not right. A reputable gunsmith just recently polished the chamber but like I said, cycles fine until you fire some rounds.
    Has anyone had this problem before?
    Thanks.....Don

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Win. 1894 25-35 lever wont open after firing 3 rounds

I believe you want to post this in the "gunsmithing" section, if you are inquiring about help with your issue.
    this is the section for posting experiences with gunsmiths, if you have had a good or bad experience with the smith who polished the chamber.
    it is hard to tell from your post which direction you are going

as to your problem, try letting it cool down for a bit when it gets stuck instead of trying to force it open and see if it that frees it up, if so I would think expansion due to heat build up is causing the interference, due to tolerances being to tight someplace, the new bolt would be the obvious place to look first
    Last edited by caferacer; October 21st, 2013 at 01:20 PM.

(York County)

I have the same issue with an older 12 ga Stevens pump shotgun. First round came out fine, the second was sticky, and the third was wedged in, to the point I had to strike the butt of the gun very hard to get the shell ejected.

My theory is the chamber is already well worn. As you shoot, the chamber expands as it heats up, leaving too much room around the brass (more than new). The pressure within the shell causes the brass to expand and stick. the hotter it gets the worst it gets. I've yet to figure out a solution, and I'm interested in what others here may say...

(York County)

you may have a headspacing issue, involving the fit of the breach block and the locking system.

Thank you all for your knowledgeable insight!
    It did have a double squib put through it about a year age but a gunsmith said it showed no distortion! Makes sense heat is playing a factor here.
    I'll check head space and make changes if it warrants modification.
    Keep you informed as to what remedies the situation!
    Thanks for your replies....Don