Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default New to Area, Need to find a Range

Hello everyone, I moved to PA in March, to Dingmans in May. I was wondering if there were any gun ranges in Bushkill, Dingmans, Milford or Shohola?
    Avid Outdoorsman, Father,Husband

(Pike County)

Default Re: New to Area, Need to find a Range

First off welcome to PAFOA, a lot of great knowledge on this forum with a few exceptions but such is society .

There is a public range up rt 6 , but read the posts in the pike county section. Use only as long as you need a trigger finger fix. DO NOT walk away from firearms or equipment at your shooting bench unless you have a friend with you.....

There is a few indoor ranges in the distance, but require about a 40-50 minute ride.

As far as gun clubs, most are per say private clubs. Only one in the pike county does some shooting sports open to the public. That is the Matamoras Rod and Gun Club. They do a monthly cowboy action, rim fire CMP, trap and now action pistol open to the public. The bad news, season ends this month for the winter months.

But fear not, there is plenty to learn on the forum here. you are local to close to about 2 dozen members of pafoa. I am a Dingmans/Milford resident , township of Dingmans with a Milford zip code go figure.

Again, Welcome to the forum and area,
    Snert

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    action pistol
    And where the hell were you today mister?

The Rt6 range (state Game Lands #183) isn't all that bad. I use it at least once a week. Just make sure you follow the rules and have either a range use permit or valid Pa hunting license.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2

No shotshells, they blow apart the target stands. Slugs are OK. No steel targets. You must shoot from the benches provided (no moving up) 6 rounds at a time in a handgun, 3 at a time in a long gun.

The game commission police LOVE handing out tickets and show up quite often to do so. So play by their rules and you'll have no worries.

It also wouldn't hurt to go with a couple 8' 2x4's and some baling wire in case the target stands have been blown apart. Just take them with you when you leave. I do, saves a lot of wasted time and disappointment.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by AirportFF View Post
    And where the hell were you today mister?

Woke up 45 minutes late, then grabbed some things to load up...And hey where the hell did my other 2 mags go...F@%$&!!!! Spent time looking for them, but gave it up the mag fairy hid them on me.

And shoulder was stiff and some friendly discomfort reminders of the injection to rotator cuff. Surgery seems to be in the near future, not happy about it.

Hence not have no worry...thy shall be back....

(Pike County)

Sadly this area of Pennsylvania is short on ranges. If you just want to shoot pistols I would say go down to Pocono Pistol Club in Stroudsburg, it's a top notch pistol range. If you want to shoot rifles your options are much more limited. The State Gaming Land range on Route 6 is an option if you like dirty, poorly maintained ranges that limit you to only 3-5 rounds in your firearm that host out of staters which know jack about firearm safety nor how to respect the range. The last place in the general area is Sunset Hill, which is a tourist trap with overzealous range officers. It's sad too because it's located in a nice area and has great potential if it was managed correctly.

Let me save you disappointment and years of searching, check out Easton Game and Fish. It's down in Easton which is a 60 mile drive for me (Probably 45-50 miles if you live in Dingmans) but it's worth the trip. First years membership is $60 for a single pass, $90 with a guest pass (Allows 3 people). After that it drops to $30 for a single and $60 with a guest pass, once you pay you have unlimited use of the range for the year. So technically you can go every day and not pay a dime, you're only limited if the range is packed and others want to shoot. It has a rimfire range, pistol/tactical range and a rifle range (25, 50 and 100 yards). I have to renew my pass, I let mine lapse because of the ammo crises earlier this year and I had a bad summer so I didn't have time to shoot.

Here is the link: http://www.efga.net

You can mail in the form or go to Sarco INC in Easton to join the range. Good luck on your search.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    First off welcome to PAFOA, a lot of great knowledge on this forum with a few exceptions but such is society .

But fear not, there is plenty to learn on the forum here. you are local to close to about 2 dozen members of pafoa. I am a Dingmans/Milford resident , township of Dingmans with a Milford zip code go figure.

Again, Welcome to the forum and area,
    Snert
    Thank you, Snert. I wasn't really sure how active this forum was, but I was just meandering through the classifieds section and saw that it was really active. So that makes me happy. I was looking for an "introductions" thread to make my presence known around the forum, but I was unable to find one.

As far as being local to other members, thats great. Maybe if I can get a day away from the daily grind, a few of us could hit the range. I know theres one in Wallpack, a few miles outside of Layton, NJ near the Wallpack Inn. I'm not sure what the regulations are there though.

And I used to live in Gold Key Lake, I now reside in Wild Acres. Looking to buy a house with some land within the next few years, OUTSIDE of a lake community hahaha.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post

Here is the link: http://www.efga.net

You can mail in the form or go to Sarco INC in Easton to join the range. Good luck on your search.
    Thank you very much, I will check into that

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by AirportFF View Post

The Rt6 range (state Game Lands #183) isn't all that bad. I use it at least once a week. Just make sure you follow the rules and have either a range use permit or valid Pa hunting license.
    I think I may have gone there when I was 8 with my dad and his buddies to sight in the rifles and put up stands for deer season up there. Its been his tradition to go up after thanksgiving with his buddies ever since then, but I've never gone. They hunt somewhere outside honesdale I believe

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by [whiskeytango] View Post
    Thank you very much, I will check into that
    Glad I could help, welcome to the area and let us know how the search goes.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lackawanna County)

Find some woods and get out there a long ways and make your own range. There is nothing close except matamoras and the game land range