Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default First AR: Build vs Buy and another question

Me and a friend went shooting today and I ended up oogling a guy's M4gery hardcore. Stainless barrel, surpressed over a DPMS lower. With nothing special ammo he was drilling the 10 hole at 100 yards. Made me want one bad. I was thinking come tax return time of starting to seriously shop around but my questions are these. 1, considering this would be my first black gun, do I just buy a decent rifle and then add off of that what I want or buy a lower and go from there? I can follow directions no prob and have plenty of basic hand tools. I'm thinking this would be a bit of a winter project so I would have time to do it, too.

2, let's assume I do decide to build. What thoughts should I put into choosing a lower? I sometimes read about the fitment being a little sloppy and I would rather avoid that.

3, I take it a weapon's accuracy is more derived from the upper and barrel quality over the lower, correct? If so, would a not so special lower be alright if the upper quality is there?

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: First AR: Build vs Buy and another question

Here are my 2-cents. IMHO two advantages (usually) from building your own are that you can get exactly what you want and you get more for your money. I still have the three ARs that I built over the past maybe 30 years give or take and they have little in common as far as brand. I do agree with your choice of stainless barrels as they provide very good corrosion resistance, good accuracy, and good wear characteristics. Again, MHO, I prefer plain stainless barrels over chrome plated chamber barrels as I have seen better accuracy in general from the former. You do want to match the twist rate to the bullets you plan on shooting as each has their own sweet spot as far as bullet weight.

If you are building a rifle and you want to reduce your chances of poor fitment, you can usually get a matched upper and lower from most makers. Again I don't have strong feelings about specific brands but I don't like polymer receivers even though they are well accepted in pistols. I am not convinced they are as good as metal. Good luck to you and hope this helps.

(Blair County)

I agree with the above. Now the downfalls of building. Part availability can be hit or miss. Barrels haven't fully come back from the panic.

Resale of a franken built at is not as good as an off the
    Shelf ar.

That being said I build mine.

Oh yea. Sounds like you fell in love with the accuracy. Remember you got to do your part.

I've never bought a complete ar. The closest thing I've done to a complete rifle was an lwrc upper. All of my other rifles I assembled from bare parts. You're a man, selling rifles isn't exactly manly, so resale value is moot...plus, I've never seen someone eat it on resale value for a solid rifle that they put together with quality components, especially in today's politically charged environment.

Assemble it to suite you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

Sounds good. Thanks, guys.

Let me ask this. Who locally has decent quality lowers for sale and won't mind answering my questions? I know I can go to American Arms, Target World, Clayton's and Tanner's and find black guns no problem but who has or can get lowers?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    Sounds good. Thanks, guys.

Let me ask this. Who locally has decent quality lowers for sale and won't mind answering my questions? I know I can go to American Arms, Target World, Clayton's and Tanner's and find black guns no problem but who has or can get lowers?
    I saw some stripped lowers at Tanner's on Friday. Insite Firearms, in East Norriton, has some stripped lowers as does Kings in KOP. Don't know what brand but they had them.
    Last edited by Toxicodendron11; October 20th, 2013 at 11:33 AM.

(Bucks County)

Here's a guy who would eat what he has into one, should I sell it. Assembled in stages between November 2008 and March 2009 during the height of the first panic, I have a DPMS lower ($160 as I recall), then the FCG was $72, collapsible stock (CAA) another $100, then a Wilson 1:9 with folding front sight/gas block on I don't know whose upper (an M-4 flat-top with the keyhole forge) as assembled at a gun show by Tony...$625....a 30-round mag...call it $20...

There's $977.

I didn't build-build it, so maybe this is a little off topic. I'm kind of a mix of DIY and a build by someone else on this piece. It was a product of the times.

So, I have what appears to be a DPMS, which for some reason some people think means Taurus or Hi-Point in West Martian, which can be purchased new now for less than $977, with a hard case (which I didn't get) and with a warranty.

Here's my answer for me. The rifle is accurate and is my 1:9 for certain loads. My other rifle is a store-boughten Spike's Tactical, free-floated, in 1:7 for other loads. So I won't be selling anyway.

Meanwhile I have over the years accumulated some the AR tools for a build. Just in case I stumble on a great deal on a 20-inch barrel.

BTW I have a polymer lower for my (now out of production) .22 Bushmaster dedicated .22LR upper. Works fine. Figure a .22LR can't possible hurt it.
    Last edited by Bang; October 20th, 2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: sp

(Bucks County)

I was doing a little internet browsing earlier and saw that Lanco Tactical is now offering their own forged stripped lower. Thoughts?
    http://www.lancotactical.com/product_p/ltlram.htm

The shop seemed to have good reviews on here and the part is quality, why not support a PA merchant?

What's your budget?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    What's your budget?
    Honestly not sure. From what I gather the upper is what determines your accuracy so I assume that's where you should put most of your budget, correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast