Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Live Scan and involuntary commitment

My family spoke a mental health worker hoping to get some kind of help for my depression, and mentioned a few non violent but odd things I said about why I was feeling the way i was, and he, feeling in helpful mood I guess, added a lengthy string of outrages lies to what they told him, put them on a form claiming I had told him those things (never met the guy), and showed up at my house with an officer asking me if these things were true (to which I indignantly replied, no) and then took me to a mental hospital where I was involuntarily committed, and then placed under a "temporary conservatorship". Part of the reason this happened is because my family thought I was somehow getting "help" there, even through that they agreed the reasons for my admission, all the lies, were completely wrong.

Prior to this I had completed three years of college and wasn't passionate about any field, but now I'd like to be a member of the Bar somewhere. I know this doesn't relate to firearms, but I saw that someone got some answers about something similar so I figured maybe someone knows how possible it would be for me to become a member some state's bar.

The state I'm in, California, specifically asks if the applicant has ever been deemed mentally incompetent by a court(conservatorship qualifies I believe), and I understand that a record of it will come up in the live scan. Could I somehow sidestep the Bar's barring of people who've been tangled up in the mental health system in ways similar to those who've gotten their gun rights back after an involuntary commitment or temporary conservatorship?

Default Re: Live Scan and involuntary commitment

Quote Originally Posted by steve11 View Post
    My family spoke a mental health worker hoping to get some kind of help for my depression, and mentioned a few non violent but odd things I said about why I was feeling the way i was, and he, feeling in helpful mood I guess, added a lengthy string of outrages lies to what they told him, put them on a form claiming I had told him those things (never met the guy), and showed up at my house with an officer asking me if these things were true (to which I indignantly replied, no) and then took me to a mental hospital where I was involuntarily committed, and then placed under a "temporary conservatorship". Part of the reason this happened is because my family thought I was somehow getting "help" there, even through that they agreed the reasons for my admission, all the lies, were completely wrong.

Prior to this I had completed three years of college and wasn't passionate about any field, but now I'd like to be a member of the Bar somewhere. I know this doesn't relate to firearms, but I saw that someone got some answers about something similar so I figured maybe someone knows how possible it would be for me to become a member some state's bar.

The state I'm in, California, specifically asks if the applicant has ever been deemed mentally incompetent by a court(conservatorship qualifies I believe), and I understand that a record of it will come up in the live scan. Could I somehow sidestep the Bar's barring of people who've been tangled up in the mental health system in ways similar to those who've gotten their gun rights back after an involuntary commitment or temporary conservatorship?
    Steve11 you said you completed 3 years of college and you are asking for advice about the possibility of becoming a member of the bar in California?
    Sounds like you need to talk with a good lawyer in California not a firearms blog. Hope you are getting the help you need now?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Live Scan and involuntary commitment

Interesting situation you have there, so tell me, have you ever given any thought to running for public office, say, that of governor.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.